Chapter 20: Talks

Harry stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep.

Ron and Hermione had kindly agreed to add  a second bed to their private quarters and helped Harry bring his things there. Harry couldn't sleep at all, though, and Ron's snoring wasn't helping. He sighed as he sat up in bed, running a hand though his hair.

"Awake?" A soft voice whispered. He turned and saw Hermione sitting up too. She was looking down at her fingers and was wearing a sad smile.

"Yeah," Harry replied. "Couldn't sleep."

"I understand."

'No, you don't,' Harry thought, but he kept quiet. He rubbed his eyes an laid back down. There was a short silence.

"I know it's complicated, Harry, and you're upset, but you need to move on," Hermione whispered. "Find someone better. Find someone-" She cut herself off. "Just find someone else. It doesn't have to- er, you know. Be a girl."

"I know."

"It hurts seeing you so upset, Harry," Hermione confessed, a little bit of desperation in her voice. "He's not worth it. If he saw you upset, he would be satisfied. Is that what you want? For him to be satisfied?"

"I don't know, Hermione," Harry said quietly. "I'm trying to get myself to be mad at him, but I just.... can't? I know it's lame and I'm a prick for it, but I just can't help but feel bad for him."

Hermione was silent for a moment.

"Why?" She finally said.

Harry shrugged his shoulders slightly. "I mean, he might have never wanted it in the first place. Then, I don't know, maybe he just thought he owed me for all the years he's been a prick to me. And then he finally came to his senses and-"

"But he lied to you, Harry!"

"I know he did! I just... I don't know. He's lonely. He wanted someone in his life, and maybe it was because I reminded him so much of my mother that he stuck with me. I just feel bad, because no one's there for him anymore. He's on his own. I wanted to help him through it, maybe help him with his social skills, because you know how social he can be. But then... the old Snape just came back, and..."

"Mmmmmh," Ron mumbled. He turned onto his side and resumed his deep snoring.

Hermione sighed. "See what I have to put up with every night?"

"Trust me, I know," Harry said somberly. "I had to put up with it for six years."

Hermione chuckled softly. "Get some sleep, Harry. It's three in the morning."

"All right." Harry closed his eyes after they exchanged good nights, and slowly drifted off.

-

Severus scrambled to put his robes back on despite being in a trance. Lucius, good at giving pleasure? Load of bullshit. He was too violent for comfort.

"Now," Lucius said softly. "Bring me Potter."

Severus nodded, and strode out of the door. The Imperuis Curse was still in act, and stronger than ever. He focused on those three words, and made sure the task was completed just as his master wanted it.

Bring me Potter.

-

Harry woke up, to his great discomfort, to Ron and Hermione snogging.

When the sound finished and he was sure it was over, opened his eyes.

"Maybe do that in private next time?" He said as he rubbed his eyes. Both Hermione and Ron went red.

"Sorry, mate." Ron scratched the back of his head.

"It's all right." He checked the time. 6 AM.

"The Hogwarts Express'll be arriving tonight with the students," Hermione said. Her voice shook a little, as if she was nervous.

"You're  still nervous about teaching a bunch of shorties?" Ron said incredulously. Harry snorted.

"Only a little," Hermione admitted. She curled her hair behind her ear and got off the bed. "I have some last minute things to do. I'll see you guys during Lunch." She stepped out of the room, and then it was just Ron and Harry.

"All right, Harry?"

"Yeah," Harry said in between a yawn. "I'm fine."

"How about we do what we didn't do yesterday?" There was a hint of annoyance in his voice.

Harry realized he was talking about flying.

"Dammit, I'm sorry, Ron. Let's go."

Ron grinned, and stepped out of bed.

He and Ron made their way towards the Quidditch pitch, brooms in hand, as they chatted about the latest Chudley Cannons game.

"The bloody coach did horrible that match!" Ron shouted a little too loudly. "Playing Oswin Hyland instead of Brayden Edgare for Seeker? Hyland is guaranteed to find the snitch at least ten minutes before the game ends; Edgare can't even see the handle of his own broom!"

"Really?" Harry smirked. "I thought Edgare did brilliantly."

Ron's ears reddened. "He may have been able to catch the snitch, but it took him a while!"

"The other teams' beaters were brilliant too, you have to admit. Despite that, he managed to catch the snitch. Oh, and he was up against Brenda Law. She's the best Seeker of the century, not including Krum."

"Oh, all right. But I still think Oswin is better."

"Well, this isn't necessarily the first time we've had our differences, is it?"

Suddenly, Ron became a little uncomfortable.

"Yeah," he said awkwardly. They continued to walk in silence.

"I wonder what Krum is up to," Ron said after a while. They had just entered the pitch, and were making their way to the middle.

"Continuing his career as the Belgian seeker, I guess. And most likely picking up girls," Harry responded. Ron snorted.

"You don't think he's planning to propose to Hermione, do you?"

Harry choked. "Just because he was checking her out doesn't mean he loved her!"

"Well, he did get her to snog him, didn't he?"

"That's something we'll never know."

"I'll get it out of her one day... maybe on our wedding day," Ron said dreamily. Harry stopped in his tracks and looked at Ron.

"You're planning to propose?"

"Of course I am! Merlin, did you think we were just going to date our whole lives?"

Harry stared at him for a while before his face broke into a grin.

"That's- that's awesome, Ron!" He slapped him on the shoulder.

"Er, thanks," Ron said awkwardly.

"Can't wait!" Harry was almost laughing because of how delighted he was. He never felt happier for the two, even when they finally started dating.

"D'you think she'll accept, though?" Ron said nervously. Harry gaped at him.

"You two are fucking meant for each other. She loves you, you love her. Of course she'll accept."

Ron's face relaxed, and the tips of his lips lifted slightly. His eyes drifted to one of  the goal posts, and he stood there, daydreaming for a good minute until Harry snapped in his face.

"Are we flying or what?"

"Oh, sorry," Ron said as he positioned his broom under him. Harry did the same, and they both kicked off the ground and soared through the air.