1: I Walk Alone

April 6, 1954

*Fact for this Date: The TV dinner was first put on sale by Swanson & Sons, and the U.S. performs a nuclear test at Bikini Island*

(Billy's POV)

My feet ached from the many miles I have walked. I had no idea where I was going, but it was the same as any other time. Find somewhere to rest for a while, and then head out again. There was no clear destination, and I wasn't sure if there ever would be.

I had made the mistake of trying to settle down before, and it just led to regrets. I had learned that I can't trust anyone.

The rumble of my stomach reminded me of how long it had been since I had last ate. Walking over to the side of the dirt road, I plopped down in a patch of grass and peered inside my backpack. I only had a small portion of a loaf of bread left. Bread had been the main thing that I ate over the years since it was cheap yet filling.

As I broke off a piece and nibbled on it, I searched for the few coins I had left. All I could find was two quarters, a dime, and a nickle. Looks like I would have to find some work as well.

I finished off the last of my bread, shoved my money into my pocket, and slung my backpack over my shoulder. It was time to find the nearest town, and I hoped that this dirt road would lead to one soon.

***

I don't know how long it had taken to get here, but I had finally came into a small quiet town. The dirt road turned into pavement, and cozy looking houses lined each side.

Seeing a grocery store a couple of blocks away, I strolled over to it. The young children riding around on their bicycles reminded me of when I was a child, making my heart twinge a little.

I passed by a woman with strawberry-blonde hair as I walked inside the store, and couldn't help but notice her pale green eyes giving me a strange look. I have seen that same look many times in lots of people's eyes. I was an outsider, a stranger. I looked and smelled filthy from going days without a proper washing. My clothes were dirty and worn out from being the only set of clothing that I owned. My shoes were basically scraps from how much I have walked in them. All of that could turn people away from me, but the thing that tipped the iceberg was probably my cold gaze and muscular frame. Men would try to fight me, and women would steer their children far from me.

Ignoring her judgmental look, I kept walking and proceeded to find the items I could afford. I got two loaves of bread and a jar of peanut butter, leaving me with two cents left to my name.

I shoved the items into my backpack, and looked at the store clerk, "Are you in need of any help here? I'm looking for whatever work I can get."

The man shook his head, "Not here, but if you are interested in some farm work I might know someone who could use an extra set of hands."

"Sure, I'll do anything," I didn't want to get my hopes up, but hope was all I had these days.

"Okay, come back here tomorrow around the same time. They should be here delivering some items. You could talk to them then," he responded before moving on to help the next customer.

"Thanks a lot, sir," smiling, I walked out of the store, the little bell on the door dinging behind me.

***

I had walked towards the edge of town looking for a place to sleep for the night where nobody would see me. I was now on another dirt road, when suddenly rain drops began to splash down on me.

I looked up at the sky and noticed the darkening of the clouds, the sunset now invisible behind all of those clouds. The rumbles of thunder started, which meant I needed to find cover quickly before it downpoured.

I ran towards the woods that were right off from the road, barely escaping the rain. Drops still slipped through the trees, so I continued searching for a better place to stop but it was better than standing completely unprotected. The last thing I needed was for the bread that I just spent thirty-four cents on to get mushy and moldy before even having a chance to eat it.

I had probably walked another mile into the woods before something caught my eye. Stepping closer, I realized that it was a raggedy old house. There was no lights on, and no signs of life. Actually, it looked as if there hadn't been anyone there in a long time.

It was a two story house with peeling paint, missing shingles, broken windows, a warping front porch, and overgrown plant life surrounding it. It was a place that most people would turn away from and not give a second thought, but it looked perfect to me. Nobody would be able to see me here, and even though it was in dismal shape it would still provide a better shelter than I have had in years.

Stepping lightly across the porch, I creaked the door open slowly. It was a guarantee that no living person would be inside, but I had no way of knowing what sort of creatures could have made this place their home.

I entered into a large, mostly empty room. The very limited light from outside gleamed across the floor and landed on a stone fireplace on the opposite side of the room.

My heart almost leapt out of my chest when I saw a couple small logs next to it. They would most likely be very dry and burn up quickly, but it would help warm me and dry my now wet clothing.

Walking towards the fireplace, I set my bag down on the dusty floor. I knelt down and strategically placed the logs inside the fireplace. Reaching inside my backpack, I pulled out a box of matches that only had five left in it. Finding work as soon as I could definitely needed to be my top priority.

Flicking the match against the packet, a small flame appeared at the tip. I lowered it to the bottom of the logs, hoping it would catch fire so that I wouldn't have to waste another match.

It took a little while to start, but the wood began to burn and the room started to light up from the glow of the fire. Leaning back, I stripped my shirt and pants off and placed them near the fire to dry.

I began to relax. I couldn't hear any noises coming from inside the house, so my worry of animals dulled down. The fire felt warm and cozy, and I had a roof over my head. It had been a long time since I could say that, and it felt nice.

Pulling my backpack closer, I laid down resting my head on it as a pillow. It was lumpy and not the most comfortable thing to use, but it was all I had.

Tomorrow I would go back to town and talk to that farmer that the man from the grocery store was talking about. I prayed that they would need help. I didn't want to continue on my journey without any money in my pocket. The mere thought of that caused a pit to form in my stomach.

A/N: What do you think? Does it seem interesting enough so far?

Also, what do you think of me adding the real-life fact at the beginning? Is that something I should continue or get rid of?

Thank you for reading and giving this a chance, please vote and comment. It would be greatly appreciated and I'd love to know your opinion