Chapter 4

It is as though the world slows, or perhaps only you do.

Jungkook stares, piecing together the strands you have shown him. You remember what you said the morning after sleeping together – you said Lena did not know everything about you, that no one did. You remember what you told Lena about wanting to protect Jungkook from harm. In the mafia, there is a strict code to be followed: women are protected by the men who love them. Of course, this rule exists in varying degrees and forms throughout the families– in the Vine and likely in Bangtan, the rule applies to both genders.

What it means though, is that sleeping with another member's sister, their wife or their daughter are all considered unpardonable offenses. The member who is 'wronged' has full liberty (sometimes, they are even encouraged) to seek revenge – whatever the word means to them. Thievery, violence, blackmail – even death. All are acceptable under the martial law of mafias. Even being removed from the Vine, even having disappeared all those years ago – if your brother ever found out and discovered you with Jungkook, he would be at full liberty to seek Jungkook's death.

Jungkook does not react for a moment. He goes still, grip tight on your waist. After a long minute, his expression softens. Leaning forward, he stops an inch away from your face.

"And?" he whispers.

Eyes widening, you find yourself confused by his lack of response. "And?" you repeat. "He'll kill you, Jungkook."

Eyes narrowing, Jungkook smirks. "He can try."

"Right. He will try," you say, rolling your eyes. "I don't want you to get hurt and I..." Hesitant, you look down. "I don't want my brother to be hurt, either."

At this, Jungkook becomes gentler. "I know. But," he says, sliding his hands to your hair. "If your brother is a member of the Vine, how has he not found us already?"

Swallowing, you try to ignore how close he is right now. Jungkook's eyes are burning, piercing and each time you try to speak, the words stick in your throat. "I ran," you admit. The walls of your apartment are thin here, and you do not know who might be listening. "When I turned eighteen, I changed my name and I ran. They haven't found me – or at least," you say, shaping your fears into words. "I don't know if they've found me."

Looking past, Jungkook stares at the rain. "I haven't noticed anything unusual," he mutters, though he hesitates. "But I can't say I've been entirely... focused, as of late."

Hands slipping further into your hair, he steps closer. Bending his head, Jungkook stops with his lips a centimeter above yours.

"It's not safe, Jungkook," you whisper. "I'm not safe."

Jungkook seems slightly amused. "And I am?" he asks, fingers pushing a piece of hair behind your ear. "Am I," he exhales, brushing his lips to your neck, "safe? Is that what you think of me?"

Shivering, your hands rise to wrap around his waist. Jungkook presses kisses to your skin, moving you backwards until your hips hit the counter. "Jungkook," you groan, eyelids shutting. "Stop."

He obeys, pulling back to look at you. "Tell me," Jungkook demands quietly. "Is that all?"

"Is... what all," you blink, unsure what he is asking. "What do you mean?"

"Is that all?" Jungkook leans forward until his hands find the counter. "Your brother is a part of the Vine, you ran when you were young. If they find out about us, they'll try and kill me. Is that all?"

Staring back, you manage a nod. "Yes. Is that not enough?"

Jungkook merely arches a brow. "I hear you. I understand what you're saying. Hear me then, when I say I don't care. Hear me," he interrupts, seeing your face, "when I say your family doesn't dictate who you are. Only you do. The Vine is dangerous. My being with you is dangerous. But Y/N," Jungkook says, softening. "Life is dangerous. People are lying who say otherwise. Life is struggle, life is hardship, life is pain. All of it intermixed with fun, joy, love. There are always obstacles, always things to overcome – but that doesn't make the good things less valid."