Chapter 5

"Okay. But how does that affect us?" Seokjin looks at Namjoon. "Y/N's brother is a part of the Vine and the Vine wants Jungkook dead. What can we do about it?"

"Exactly," Namjoon agrees. He nods. "What can we do?"

"Well, no, I wasn't –"

"Thank you for volunteering, Seokjin." Namjoon lifts a brow. "I accept the offer of a plan. One that gets Jungkook – and us, tangentially – out of this."

Seokjin's expression sours as he nods, crossing his legs to lean back in his seat. He seems so affronted, you almost laugh but then you remember who he is, where you are.

Uncrossing his arms, Jungkook sighs. "You don't need to get me," he says, looking pointedly at Namjoon, "or us out of anything. I can take care of myself."

"No." Namjoon speaks calmly, glancing down at his desk. He shuffles a few papers, refusing to humor the sentiment. "You are a member of Bangtan. We protect you, as you protect us."

For some reason, his statement is not met with laughter. Whenever you witnessed similar interactions within the Vine, there was zero camaraderie. Everyone looked out for themselves; each looked out for their own. Occasionally the members helped one another, but only if said member knew there was something in it for them. You could not trust anyone outside the Vine, sure – but neither could you trust anyone in it.

Bangtan seems different, in that regard. Namjoon looks up, having laid out his papers. "Photographs," he says, placing a hand on the table. "Yoongi hacked into the Vine's mainframe. He took several things from their system before he was kicked out."

In the chair closest to you, Yoongi makes a noise of disapproval. "I wasn't kicked out," he counters. "I just left – quickly."

"Whatever." Namjoon rolls his eyes. "Either way, it appears the Vine have been following Y/N for some time. Before, they seemed content to let her be. They allowed her to live alone and think herself safe, but they always kept tabs – you can see for yourself."

Taking a hesitant step forward, your gaze drops from Namjoon to the photos before him. Inhaling sharply, you realize he speaks the truth. Frozen in shock, you stare at the images. There is a photo from last spring of you exiting a classroom. Beside it is a photo from the year prior, attending a dance with a friend. Several weeks before, you skim a glossy image of you exiting the coffee shop with Lena. When your hand starts to shake, you withdraw – turning to Jungkook, you see him hold out a palm.

Jimin's chair scrapes as he stands. "That doesn't sound like the Vine," he says curiously, walking forward. "To waste their time, their resources trailing a nobody? No offense." He does not seem to mean it. "Who is Y/N's brother? Only someone powerful within the Vine would have access to such resources."

"He's right," Hoseok says. "That's a lot of effort for one person. Either Y/N is corrected, or she knows something the Vine doesn't want her to." He regards you with interest. "Which is it?"

Your cheeks heat, about to respond but Jungkook shakes his head. "Her mother's boyfriend was involved with the Vine," he explains. "Y/N has known them since she was young; she's seen a lot. She's valuable to them because she knows how they work. That's all."

Hoseok sits back, appeased but Jimin crosses his arms.

"Liar," he says. Several heads turn in his direction, surprised. Jimin narrows his gaze. "I don't work with liars. Namjoon." He glances sideways, towards the leader of Bangtan. "You can use my weapons, use all my resources. They're yours, but don't ask of me more. I won't give it."

Lifting his chin, Jimin turns. He strides from the room, removing his sunglasses to slip over his nose. He does not look at you, although you stare at him. The hair on the back of your neck prickles, wondering what you could have done to make Jimin so angry.