Chapter 1 - E (No)

Monokuma finishes inputting the code onto the control panel, and the shield disappears. He turns around and asks, "Do you wish to re-enter the outside world?"

I look down at myself deep in thought. I'm not really sure if I should go.

There has been something bothering me ever since I was exploring through this place. I need to know the answer to it. I glance back up and gaze over to the bear. "Monokuma, I have a question. Why were there only sixteen rooms in the dormitory when there are seventeen people attending this academy?"

Monokuma places a paw on his chin. "Well, it seems like there was an oversight on the academy's part. I'll let my sweet cubs know about the problem. They probably forgot to add your room inside the dormitory is all."

I don't believe that statement for a second.

Suddenly, my head begins to pound furiously. My vision becomes blurry as sudden blackouts start appearing.

"Ngh..." I grab my temple and close my eyes, remembering bits and pieces of myself meeting all of the students in the gym for the first time.

And they were in normal school uniforms? Not like the ones they had on now?

I remember Rantaro saying something along the lines of "what he thought it was."

But, what was he talking about? Was he talking about this game?

Monokuma intently stares at me. "Of course, if you choose to leave now, you can probably go back home to your own room and lie down in your own bed. That way, there's no need for you to sleep at some odd location during nighttime, especially with this killing game going on. Isn't that better to just go back home? The place where it's all nice and cozy for you," he offers, painting a scene in my mind.

I open one eye to try to focus on the bear while continuing to hold my head. Home?

...

My mind flashes back to my own room filled with my own things. There were many things I could be doing at that moment like watch TV, play a game, or read a book, but I decided to just lie in bed all day and just think to myself for some reason.

I know I should be doing something, but what exactly was it that I needed to do?

I get up and walk over to my desk. I grab a piece of paper and a black pen with the intention of writing something down, but then, my mind goes blank. I immediately forgot what I was going to write about. What was it that I wanted to write down?

...

That memory stops, and my head and vision starts to normalize once again. I can feel the bear eyeing me, probably starting to get impatient with me. I didn't pay close attention to his features as thoughts begin to fill my mind once again.

Just, what was that memory? It looked pretty normal to me. I was at home, basically doing nothing as usual. Was that memory triggered just because Monokuma mentioned the word, "home?"

"So, do you wish to re-enter the outside world or what?" he asks with a clear irritation in his tone, interrupting my own thoughts.

I raise my eyebrow upon hearing his question. Huh. That's weird. Does he want me to leave?

I cross my arms in disbelief. Now, I'm starting to think that maybe I need to think this through cautiously before I make a careless mistake. "So, you're telling me that on the other side of that door is the outside world. That's the truth, isn't it?"

He throws his paws up in the air, baring his sharp white teeth at me. "Bears do not lie!"

I decide to provoke the bear by smirking and teasing him with more questions. "Oh reallllly? How do I know you're not lying? For all I know, you could be lying about the outside world to me right now."