Tapes

"And that's why I'm mad

"And that's why I'm mad." I finished telling my story to my twin brother, who, of course, wasn't paying attention. I looked to my left a little and noticed what caught his attention. "Clay." I placed a hand on his shoulder with a small smile playing on my face.

"It's sad." He pulled my hand ofF his shoulder but never let go.

"What the hell are you doing?" Our heads snapped to Justin foley, resident jackass, hot jackass.

"Nothing. I'm just-"

"Looking for something?" He cut my brother off.

"What would I be looking for?"

"You tell me." I rolled my eyes at him trying to act tough.

"Do you even know my name?" Clay laughed lightly.

"Course I do, Clay." I scoffed. "You're not that innocent, Jensen. I don't give a shit what she says."

"How about you leave him alone." I pushed my brother back. "And stop being a jackass, Foley."

"Stay out of it, Nikki." He snapped before walking away.

"I swear these people get meaner by the day." My brother shook his head in disbelief. "But you didn't have to get in the middle of it."

"I'll always stick up for my little brother," I told him while walking to my class.

"By four minutes." He yelled while I waved goodbye.

🥀🥀🥀

" Hey, Clay." I watched as Tony called my brother over. Tony was a nice guy and a super good friend of mine. "You wanna ride home."

"Clay," I yelled before slamming into my brother's back and wrapping my legs around his waist so I wouldn't fall.

"What the hell, Nikki." He grabbed onto my legs.

"We'd love a ride, Tony." I laughed at my brother. "Giddy up." I kicked the side of Clay's thigh, causing him to drop me on my ass.

"Now that was funny," Tony commented before giving me a hand.

"Fuck off." I rubbed my elbow that scraped the concert.

"Can I play you guys a tape?" Tony asked us, which we both nodded too.

The ride home with Tony was fun. We laughed and enjoyed our self's which hasn't happened in a long time; it was almost like everything wasn't falling apart around us.

"Thanks for the ride." Clay jumped out of his car.

"Yeah, thanks." I smiled at him before opening the door.

"Wait, Nik, how are you." I sighed, hoping he wasn't going to ask me that question.

"I'm fine. You know, besides the fact my boyfriend, if you can even call him that, can't remember me or anything that's happened to him in the last four years." I snapped, but it was my intention.

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry." I smiled at him.

"If you need to talk, I'm here, Nik."

"Thank you, t." I kissed his cheek before exiting the car.

I wasn't trying to be rude when people asked me about him, but I couldn't help it. I was angry all the time.

"Hey, sweetheart." My dad said from his office. "You're brother wants you to meet him in the workshop."

"Okay." I placed my bag on the table and grabbed an apple before heading to Dad's workshop. "What's up, baby bro."

"It took you long enough." He rolled his eyes at the fact I called him 'baby bro.' "Anyways, we got tapes."

"Tapes?" I questioned.

"Yeah, Nik, tapes." He helps one up. "It was addressed to both of us." He put the tape in and pressed play.

"Hey, it's Hannah." Clay snapped his hand to me. "Hannah Baker. Don't adjust your... whatever device you're hearing this on. It's me, live and in stereo: no return engagement, no encore, and this time, absolutely no request. Get a snack. Settle in because I'm about to tell you the story of my life, more specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to this tape...you're one of the reasons why. I'm not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, your name will pop up. I promise. Anyway, the rules here are pretty simple."

"Whatcha doing." Our mom, I said, causing Clay and me to jump. " I didn't mean to scare you guys."

"What the hell." I placed my hand over my chest. "Could you at least wear a bell or something?"

"What are you guys even listening to?"

"Nothing, it's for history," Clay answered.

"Can I listen?" I panicked and snatched the tape away from her.

"Sorry, but no." I grabbed Clay's shirt pulling him away. "We have a lot of homework."

"Get off of me." He smacked my arm away. "Shit," Clay mumbled while playing with the boombox.

"Great job, bro." I rolled my eyes. "Well, while you go steal Tony's cassette player, I'm going over to Jeff's.

"Barrow." He yelled.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

🥀🥀🥀

Walking up to the very familiar doorstep, I couldn't help but let the nerves take over. I know this isn't helping me, but I couldn't help it. I had to see him.

"Hey." Jeff smiled as he opened the door. "How's my favorite tutor."

His tutor. I used to be his girlfriend, but he doesn't remember that.

"I am the better Jensen twin." I flipped my hair over my shoulders, making him laugh.

"I don't know." I slightly pushed his arm. "Kidding." His smile was so bright it almost made me want to cry.

Jeff And I dated for two years, but a couple of months ago, he was in a car accident. I almost lost him that night, but I also guess, in a way, I did. He lost his memory. He doesn't remember ever being with me.

"You okay?" He looked concerned. I quickly nodded my head, not trusting my words. "We should probably head upstairs and get started."

"Yeah," I mumbled.

Sometimes I think if he died that night, it would hurt less.