Chapter 16

Jaguar leaped towards Moss, his talons outstretched. Moss screamed with fear.

Chameleon jumped to help her, but Queen Dazzling held him back. She motioned with one talon, and Bullfrog suddenly materialized from the shadows, grabbed Chameleon, then bound Chameleon to a tree with strong vines.

"HELP ME!" screamed Moss. "CHAMELEON! HELP!" She was bleeding from several deep gashes. Her wings had already been sliced off. Her scales were pure white, as white as an IceWing, but she was more red than white now. She screamed again.

That was already too many wounds than Moss could handle.

"NO!" yelled Chameleon. "NO!"

But it was too late. Jaguar unhinged his jaw, and five black droplets shot towards Moss.

Time seemed to slow down as the droplets flew in the air. Chameleon watched helplessly from the tree as the droplets went splash, splash, splash, right into Moss' eyes.

Her scream tore into Chameleon's heart. He wanted to move, to writhe, to snap the vines in half, to do anything, instead of stuck beside the tree, and only wait and watch.

He wanted to be next to Moss, slashing at Jaguar's throat, breaking his neck.

But he couldn't.

He was trapped.

Helpless.

Moss gave one last cry of despair before she shuddered and fell to the ground, convulsing. She rocked on the ground, twisting with pain. Her whole body gave one last violent twitch, and then she stopped moving altogether. Her scales faded to the same shade of green as Chameleon's.

A dark red puddle spread outwards underneath her body, melting into the churning mud, like the darkness flooding into Chameleon's vision.

Moss was dead.