Chapter 3

The headmistress was easily one of the most strikingly elegant women you'll ever see. She appeared taller than she probably was but her ebony skin was radiant against her navy blue dress and multi-colored head wrap.

"Greetings students, family and faculty; I am headmistress Arrington and I speak on behalf of all of the faculty here when I say welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. You have been chosen to be a part of this auspicious and revered academy because we believe that you not only possess the talent but the character to accomplish great things," she said.

Blushington remains one of the leading institutions in the world because we believe in two things, beauty and excellence. Beauty because it is in everyone, there is always a silver lining, a reason to be thankful and a solution to any problem. Excellence because every aspect of our lives and all that we do is a reflection of who we are.

Here you will see that we make our beds with excellence, not simply because of the dorm checks but because a Blushington woman knows that our outer chaos can lead to inner chaos. We get dressed and carry ourselves in excellence because the only possession that you truly own is your reputation. And we excel in our gifts and chosen crafts because no success can be achieved without constant practice.

No job or part of ourselves is too small. We do not believe in attaining perfection because perfection is not only impossible but boring. But we do expect everyone to reach for their greatest potential.

Our school was founded in 1819 by the three Posely sisters who believed that all women should be given every opportunity to develop morally, gracefully and intelligently. We still believe and carry out those principles today. Remember that from this day forward you are a representative of this fine institution; an ambassador to the outside world.

Represent us well, study hard and succeed. Represent us poorly, fall in your studies and we will not hesitate to send you home. We've learned over these two hundred years that Blushington is not for everyone but we strive to offer you every advantage necessary for you to succeed.

Please look inside the boxes that are on the table. Inside you'll find your school agenda, a copy of the school's history, creed, motto, dress code and song. Along with a few other things you'll need as you begin this journey.

I am convinced this will be our best year yet and am thrilled that you all will be a part of it. All of the faculty is around to answer any questions you may have. Thank you and you are all now officially young Blushington women."

"Wow, they really don't do anything small here do they," mom said. "I mean I feel like we're at a wedding and those boxes wow, can I get one too?"

I couldn't fault her for wanting one of the boxes; they were really cool. They also included a tote bag, tumbler and pocket sized notebook, each with the school's crest on it.

We had a brief talk with the Dean of Music Mr. Simulson who said he'd heard good things about me and was eager to have me in the program. Mom and Dad smiled at me and thanked him for his time.

Evening came and we all walked quietly back to the main building and out front. It was time to say goodbye and it was harder than I thought it would be. We'd been the three Muskateers my whole life and now I was going to be on my own at sixteen.

Mom kept asking if I had everything I needed and hugging me. Dad pulled me aside and gave me one last pep talk about being great and being the kind of person who goes into a new place looking for and expecting good.

I promised to check in, gave some last hugs and then they were driving away. I watched their car until it was out of sight. I probably stood there a little longer than necessary but once I snapped out of it, I headed back inside to my room to prepare for tomorrow.