Chapter 12

It felt like an eternity since I left Blushington over winter break, even though it had only been two and a half weeks. I didn't feel the weight of the school this time when I walked into the main hall. Instead I felt like it was welcoming me back, like I belonged, like a sister.

When I went back to my room I was immediately blinded by unicorns, rainbows, crystals and fluffy pillows. I was so shocked to see Jalissa typing at her desk I just stood there.

"Oh hey Valentina," she said casually.

"Um hi," I said excitedly and hugged her from behind. "When did you get back, how's your dad, how are you?" I barraged her with question after question while she just looked at me puzzled.

"My dad's back in the states and doing well," she said, "thank you for your concern I really appreciated your texts."

Only this twelve year old could offer her appreciation in such a deadpan manner. Well, it didn't matter I was thrilled to have her back and that her dad was going to be okay. I didn't know what I'd do if my dad got sick like that.

Lost in my thoughts I jumped when the door flung opened to a bouncing Cassie and a very excited pair of twins. We all hugged and talked about break. We tore Jalissa away from her laptop and all went to the cafe.

It was late when Jalissa and I finally made it back to our rooms; we barely beat lights out. I didn't think I'd be this happy to be back but I was. I slept easily that night ready for whatever next semester threw at me.

I awoke early for some reason. So I put my uniform on and headed down for breakfast alone. I was one of the first girls so the place was still pretty quiet. I looked out the window and saw some students looking at plants and thought of Florence, from the temple of enlightenment.

I chose to grab my coat and go over to the greenhouse before class started. When I got inside I asked around for a faculty member named Florence. No one seemed to know who she was. I described her and where I'd met her, still nobody knew who I was talking about.

Confused I opened the door to leave when a short, portly gentleman waved me over.

I walked to him and he asked, "Was she putting a blanket around the rose bush?"

"Yes," I said excitedly, "finally you see I'm not crazy."

"No, you're not crazy," he whispered, "but she's not a faculty member; some believe she's a guiding spirit."

"Come again," I said puzzled. "I'm sorry but I don't believe in ghosts."

"Not a ghost necessarily," he continued, "but many think she only appears to students in need whose character is true."

"Okay thanks," I said, "I have to get to class."

Shaking my head I left and headed toward my first class. I didn't give his story much thought until later. I'd learned my lesson about doodling and playing around in class.

After lunch it was time for music. I knew all of the girls expected me to come back embarrassed but I just walked in with my head held high and paid them no attention.

"Whoa, impressive," Cassie said quietly when I sat down beside her.

"Thanks, I've chosen to become the best singer I can be for me and no one else," I whispered back.

Cassie fanned me like I was too hot to handle. Ms. Czerwonsky was on stage welcoming us back. Apparently we were to put on an end of term revue. It was a fancy talent show. We were each given pieces to perform and our performance was the opening celebration to the Blushing and Blooming Spring Ball.

"Blushington throws a real life ball," I asked Cassie awestruck?

"Yes, and it's amazing," she replied with a smile, "we get seriously dressed up, the guys from Bloomington come, it's the best part of the year."

Okay I was definitely glad I came back; I would have been so bummed missing out on attending a real ball. I knew this place was a live action fairytale. I walked up front to receive my paper with my performance piece and couldn't believe my eyes.

It said I was to perform "Easy as Life" from Aida. I just stood there slowing down the line, when I heard the dean's voice asking if there was a problem.

I stammered out a shaky no and went back to my seat. I silently showed the paper to Cassie and she just looked at me with saucer eyes. What could this possibly mean? Well, I didn't intend to let life keep happening to me. From now on I would make some things happen for myself.

I stood up, walked over to where the dean sat alone and asked him for a moment of his time.

"How can I help you, Valentina," he asked?

"At the auditions you said I wasn't a true contralto. I respectfully ask for the opportunity to train as one this semester and perform as one at the revue," I spoke with more conviction than I knew I had in me.

He must've noticed as well because he never lifted his head from his papers, but said, "Fine, however if I still feel the way I do, you will train as a mezzo-soprano or go home."

"Thank you sir," I said happily; stopping just short of giving a salute.

As I walked back to my seat I heard him say, "Don't disappoint me Valentina."

Later in the cafe Cassie was retelling everything to Jalissa and the tex twins. They were so proud to know me and call me a friend. I sarcastically introduced myself to them as Valentina, speaker upper for herself. That night dinner was full of good food and laughter.

Walking back to our room I thought about this morning in the greenhouse and asked Cassie and Jalissa if they knew of a woman named Florence who took care of the rose bush in the temple.

Their only response was to look at one another and then to announce how tired they were. I eyed them suspiciously and shrugged it off knowing I'd ask them again later.

When I was ready to get in bed I grabbed my laptop and searched for Florence and Blushington. A photo came up immediately of the woman I'd seen that day. There was only one problem; it was dated May 6, 1926. Thoroughly freaked out I hurriedly shut my laptop, sent a goodnight in Jalissa's general direction and went to bed. Was the man in the greenhouse telling the truth?

Thanks for reading!

X B

Follow along on Instagram: blushingtonbooks