Chapter 5

The school consisted of six main buildings, a few of them recently renamed. Hampstead Hall which was the main building and held the offices, dorms and cafe. The George Bridgetower theater was a separate building as was the Marie Curie science building. There was the largest greenhouse I'd ever seen and the Althea Gibson sports complex. Finally there was the Augusta Savage arts building.

After that there seemed to be no end of woods, walking trails, green space, the lake and gardens. Each featured their own variety of little memorials, temples, and gazebos.

Cassie, myself, and the tex twins usually explored the grounds together. We liked to pretend we were solving some mystery. I mean Blushington was old enough to have its share of secrets.

So it felt weird to be out there by myself, but I appreciated the solitude. I walked much further than I had before when I saw Jalissa, my roommate, in the distance. I called out to her but she was too far away to hear me. I watched as she walked into one of those random temples.

When I got there I saw that it was the named the temple of enlightenment. I heard her talking to someone so I opened the door and stepped inside. But when I looked there was no one there but her.

The temple was a small round building with a glass dome and one beautiful rose bush growing in the center. She jumped when I closed the door and looked around hesitantly.

"I thought I heard you talking with someone," I said.

"I was but you scared her away," she responded.

"Oh I didn't mean to please apologize to her," I offered back, "but where could she have gone this is the only entrance."

Jalissa laughed and shook her head. "That's right I forgot this is your first year," she quipped, "I come here to think that's all. Lots of people do. It's a good place for figuring things out."

"Maybe you need it more than I do right now," she continued, "I'll see you back in the room."

She left without a second look and then I realized she didn't tell me who she was talking with. I concluded it was just Jalissa being Jalissa and sat on one of the benches built into the wall. I thought about everything that had happened in these last couple of months and maybe I did jump the gun. I mean Blushington has produced some stellar performers, some that I really admired.

I guess a refresher never hurt anyone and to be honest I was learning some new things, well lots of new things actually. I didn't know how to say thank you for coming to the performance in Italian a few months ago, but I do now, grazie per essere venuto alla performance.

I just had such high expectations and hopes to be on stage; I guess when the time was right I'd get my chance. Then I'd be ready and able to show them for sure.

I sat back and thought that this was a great place to think. I looked at this solitary rose bush wondering who decided to cage it in this building. And promised it I'd be back to check on it and bring it a little water.

And looking up at the glass dome I saw the sun starting to set and figured I'd better head back. But first I'd stop in the theater and give an apology.

Thanks for reading!

X B