01 ✁ [soukoku] goodbyes

Prompt 1: "Is this the end? After everything we've been through?"

Fandom: Bungou Stray Dogs

Pairing(s): Soukoku (Dazai Osamu/Nakahara Chuuya)

Tags & warnings: mild angst

✁ — — —

"Is this the end? After everything we've been through?"

Dazai heeds the footsteps before he does the voice. Quick, light and abrupt, they never allow him time to think or to hesitate. Or maybe it's Dazai himself.

"What do you mean?" He doesn't turn, instead choosing to speak into the darkness. Dazai could almost hear the other man wince at the nonchalance in his voice. That one, he wears his heart on his sleeve.

"You know what I mean." Chuuya's reply is quiet. Dazai can't help — even as he hears the frustration, feels the yearning in the other man's voice — but taunt:

"What, no insult? No "waste-of-bandages"? Not even a "shitty Dazai"?"

He doesn't flinch when the other man grips his shoulder and turns him around, hard. Chuuya's eyes are burning as they glare into his own, in search of something, anything, to hold onto in those bottomless depths. Dazai doesn't let him find anything.

"Why?" The redhead chokes out at last. Looking at his expression, so uncharacteristically conflicted and weak, Dazai suddenly feels the urge to laugh. Is that all you can muster? You've said it yourself: "After everything we've been through." And yet, this is all you will say to me?

Chuuya's skin is hot against his lips as Dazai presses a kiss to his forehead. The redhead's scent floods his nose: shampoo, deterrent, bed — and for a second Dazai wanted to stop, to pull Chuuya close and to tell him what he knows he longs to hear. But he does not; and all too soon they are apart again, the one staring and the other turning to leave. As the night wind chills him to the bone, Dazai thought for a second he would laugh again.

Then this is all I will say to you.

✁ — — —

First up: Soukoku ^^ Hope that wasn't too OOC! Thoughts?

(Also, if it wasn't clear enough, this is when Dazai leaves the Port Mafia.)