Chapter 10 The massacre

            Karros stood on a parapet gazing down. He saw the tunnel they would be coming from which were embedded with traps. About four hundred orcs would pour from there and storm these gnomes and eventually him. The rest were guarding the entrances. Karros feared this would be his last little adventure. Well the adventure was fun, the halt shall be hilarious thought Karros. He chuckled to himself. The white haired gnome stood next to him with his own short sword. He had said his name was Sparks Irontool.

            The other gnomes were lining up in a defensive formation with grim looks on their faces. Karros turned to Sparks and asked “who was the gnome that betrayed you?”

            Sparks looked up at him and answered “Churny Irontool, my brother.”

            Karros’s eyes widened. “Your brother, your own brother is the reason we are dead? But…”

            “Yes it is true.” Then a gnome down in the back side of the walls yelled up.

            “There’s an elf and a dwarf insisting us to let them in!” the gnome said.

            “That must be my friends!” exclaimed Karros.

            “Let them in here. Four more hands are always good in war,” commanded Sparks. He turned to look at the human. “At least you die by your friends.”

            Karros’s face became dull again. It erupted in delight when he saw the dwarf and elf enter the base. “You rascal!” yelled the dwarf in a harsh but friendly way.

            “Gammerforth! Respen!” said Karros grinning.

            “You made me sing a song for your death,

            “What?”

            “We shall explain later my good friend,” said Respen happily.

            “Well I shall explain my adventure that I experienced without you.” Karros told them of the fight and the mother bear and Cyben. Respen and Gammerforth were so amazed and shocked that they almost forgot to give Karros Eclipse. Karros thanked them greatfully. Finally Karros asked the other gnome who informed them of their arrival “how did they enter?”

            “Oh it was amazing!” shrieked the gnome. “They stormed through the orcs and they opened up a path using bomb arrows that the elf had!”

            “WHAT!” yelled Sparks in a very humorous way because of his high pitched voice. “A path is open and you tell me now?!” Just then the tunnel exploded with traps and sizzled orc flesh spewed from the tunnel unleashing a dreadful odor. The orcs then rushed through and began shooting their crossbows and killing the gnomes. Karros was given a small bow but he used it anyways and shot an arrow and it hit one orc in the groin.

            Sparks glanced at Karros for he saw where he had shot. “Hey,” said Karros. “If we are going to die, might as well have fun!”

            “We are not going to die!” yelled Sparks over the ruckus. “If we can make it out of that exit that your friends cleared then we can get out alive.”

            “Maybe you are right!”

            The orc mages shot their fire balls and exploded the walls. Gnomes went flying everywhere. Karros had a grudge against orc mages after his last encounter with them. The orcs poured through the gaps and the gnome warriors ambushed them as they marched in. Karros spotted a mage and leapt atop him from the walls. He embedded his sword into the skull. Karros pulled free the sword from the gore and slashed his sword in all directions slicing arms and heads belonging to vile orcs.

            He simply imagined they were Grok and slayed them all.

            Karros could hear Sparks yelling retreat to his soldiers but soon they were all dead. Karros soon realized he was in the middle of a whole army of orcs that were mad at him for killing their mage. He then unleashed upon them a wrath so great, a wrath so filled with rage and horror, a wrath of revenge, which eventually made them think okay, this human is mental. Eclipse rose and fell in a flash of darkness, eventually filling the hearts of orcs with it.

            Karros’s sword cut through bone and flesh, shredding the tissues and veins of the villains. No one could stop him. Soon the orcs that were in a fifteen feet radius fled and the next batch moved in. They stood no chance. By the time the fourth batch moved in, Karros was beginning to feel weary from swinging and jabbing. His Eclipse was stained with blood and remnants of gore. Karros’s face was splattered with it too. The elf and dwarf were fighting with ferocity but not as much as Karros. Sparks jabbed with his tiny blade and slayed many too, but even he was surprised by the skill of Karros, all powered by hiws hatred for orcs.

            The gnome army was scattered or dead. Order was lost, and orcs gushed around killing with laughter. Karros knew they would be dead. He then remembered Cyben. He had left him when he jumped off of the parapet. What have I done?

            Karros began searching, cutting the orcs not to kill anymore but to removed them from his path. He heard some shrieks that sounded like a bear’s. He hacked his way through the orcs towards the sound source. Then he saw the black bear being kicked around by cackling orcs. Karros’s face turned red with anger and he slayed them with swift strikes. Cyben had a few cuts on his back and one on his leg. Karros scooped him up into his arm and ran away from the melee or I should say the massacre for the left over gnomes were surrendering but the orcs killed them with pleasure.

            “Cyben, I’m so sorry!”

            The bear looked at him and he stroked his paw on Karros saddened face like he was saying it is okay. Cyben growled and leaped over the human’s head and began clawing an orc. Karros joined the fight. He realized it was over. His friends were probably dead. He still wished they had gotten out. He would not be able too. His blind grudge against orcs had led him away from the exit and he bet that Cyben had followed him. Now he and his bear friend would die fighting. The orcs cornered them until all they could see was the ugly orc faces and hovering swords.    

Hello readers and writers. I can't belive I made it to the tenth chapter. Thanks for reading it this far. Happy reading and writing folks!