Dead or alive

Edited: oct 24 2022

Rewritten: September 19 2024

"Y/n trust me, hunny this is real life" my father said taking off the sheet. "But how, I saw your body's I planned your funeral, I cried, I sobbed" I say sitting on the bed looking down on my hands. "Yes I know, we are dead, we're just ghost" my mom says patting my back. "But your not see though, your touching me" I say looking up at my mom."Look y/n it's a long story and it's hard to explain." My dad says taking a seat next to me. "Then explain" I say looking at them.

And explaining they did, my parents were dead there was no doubt about that. But they're ghost, but how I could see them was a question even to them. I say there silently taking everything in. It's like whiplash. I don't know what to say or think.

"I do have one question though" my father said stepping towards me from his spot in the corner. "No offense honey, but you worked so hard to accomplish your dream to get out of this small town, and once you move away get your degree you come back" he says. I look over at my night stand that held a picture of my graduation day with both of my alive parents by both of my sides, then I turn and look at the dirty worn down boots I wear to work. "I worked hard to still struggle, nursing wasn't my dream, and the city was too loud. I like it here, I know everyone it's nice it's quite it's home." I say lying back down on the bed staring up at the canopy."Y/n!! Dinner" hazels voice rung from down stairs. "I have to go, just stay here" I say walking out the door making my way down the stairs.

Hazel made some stew for the both of us and I sat down at the table. "This is weird to ask, but I met someone, and I was wondering if he could stay here for a bit?" Hazel said looking up at me with hopeful eyes tapping her finger on the table anxiously. "I mean why not? He's not like some cereal killer or something right" I ask taking a sip of soup. "I mean I don't think he is, I'm still alive" she said with eyes full of hope. "Yeah I don't mind, how long have you been seeing him"

"Three weeks"

"What?!?" I say coughing up a green bean. "Hazel you have to be joking, I know you move fast but come on" I say before taking a sip of my juice trying to ease my throat. "I know it's hasn't been a short while but his roommate kicked him out in favor of the new girlfriend" she tries reasoning with me. "Look he can stay, but it's still really weird" I say meeting hazels eyes.

"Yay thank you!!! You won't regret it"

"I better not"

Famous last words