A new way of life

Made on: ????

edited: Aug. 13 2020

Edited again: oct. 21 2022

Rewritten: September 19 2024

8 months later

"Have a good night ms.Jacob" I say patting my hands on my apron as the old lady walked out carrying a large brown paper bag. The timer next to me started beeping as I turned it off, I smile hanging up my apron next to the 3 others before I turn out the lights and lock up. I got in my car before sitting in it for a moment.

What was my life before, I just finished collage and I was applying to nursing jobs like crazy, my landlord raised up the rent and I t was getting hard to afford living. Now, even with my associates going to waste I'm still living and I'm living comfortably.

I blink out of my thoughts before starting up my car and driving over to the house. Taking a pause in front of the bridge, sure it was redone and really sturdy but meeting a fate as my parents made my stomach turn.  But I gently pressed the gas and drove the rest of the way home.

"Oh honey I'm home" I say unlocking my door laughing a bit to myself. Hazel comes down the stairs and hums "look what I found" she said smiling showing the gap in her teeth. Since hazel and I moved in we've decided to make the house our own but with leaving the attic and bits of the house the same so I can have a reminder of my parents. Hazel held out a book with a brownish red cover with a couple holding hands. "Um what's that" I say turning my head. My dad loved read but I don't remember him being big on conspiracy theories. Hazels yellow eyes met mine "it's so cool I didn't know your dad was cool, I found this in the attic" she say handing it to me. I take it in my hands running my hands along the cover.

"Yeah it looks cool" I say not know how to feel before I look back up to Hazel. "Wanna get some take out, for dinner?" Hazel thought for a moment "nah, I don't wanna spend the money but why don't I made you some dinner" I nod. "Thank you I'm just tired, I'm going up to my room" I say climbing the stairs.

Reaching my room, my parent's old room I sat on the bed kicking my shoes off and opening up the book. As ridiculous as it was, hear that there was a to talk to my parents peeked my interest. But I closed my book rolling my eyes, it was so corny probably bought as a joke or a gift to give to someone. I sigh thinking it's ridiculous to believe that I could talk to ghost. I walk over to my door and open it.

I jump looking at 2 sheet figures "Jesus Hazel you scared me, wait are those my sheets" I pause looking at the other figure "who's your friend" I say looking in the of the shorter sheet. They weren't hazels yellow eyes or tan skin. In fact it was my mother's brown eyes and fair skin. "M-mom" I say in above a whisper taking a step backwards.  The figure stood still, the room grew cold I grabbed at sheet closing my eye waiting to get jump scared or at least to wake up.

"Y/n?" My mother's voice rang in my ears as I hesitantly opened my eyes. I saw her I saw my mother's figure, her face.  I dream of them every once in a while but it always feels like the first time. "Is this real" I say unable to move just blinking. "Oh y/n you can see us" my mother said hugging me.

She hugged me.

I felt her touching me.

"Is this real" I say.

"Yes y/n" it is real"