Chapter Nine

He couldn't work out whether the sound was in pain or anger or fear, but the noise made Baz drop the mug he was holding, and it shattered across the floor. Instinctively he looked towards where the noise had come from and saw everyone staring at their younger friend with looks of horror on their faces.

"Lewis!?" Ryan called out to their friend, but he didn't make any response. With that, everyone kicked into action and either started to panic or try and help. Baz leaped over the broken china and sprinted to the sofa where Lewis was. He could see what was happening to their friend now.

He was convulsing, his muscles jumping back and forth in un-coordinated spasms. His fingers were gripping into his palms as if he was trying to draw blood and his chest rose and fell in unregulated breathing. His neck had gone floppy, so his head had fallen backwards onto the top of the sofa. Tears were trickling down his face, and he cried out again through gritted teeth. His eyes were open, but he didn't seem to react to what he saw.

Lewis was beyond terrified. The world was just a flying show of splodges of vibrant colour with flashes of light which disoriented him and clawed at his eyes. All sound was muffled, just echoes. But every time he heard one, it would send shockwaves of pain through his head, and that just made the colours and lights so much worse. He couldn't move. Was he paralyzed? He fought hard against it, trying his best to make one coordinated movement but his attempts just brought pain and fatigue. Despite all of these senses, his mind was going blank and it was that which terrified him the most. But whenever he tried to focus against that feeling, the process seemed to speed up. Something touched the back of his head, and it started to burn unbearably. He attempted to call out for help...

Lewis gave a muffled cry as Baz held his head upright. Ryan was freaking out beside him, crying as much as Lewis was. Will was racking his brain for what to do if someone was having a seizure. He was a father, and like most fathers he had gone on a frantic search of everything a parent should look for to protect thier kid. He looked up at Lewis's face for a moment, seeing the raw pain on his face. Will held onto his younger friend's convulsing shoulders while trying to come up with some sort of plan...

Something was pinning him down. It didn't want him to recover. Lewis shook and trembled as a feeble attempt of trying to get those hands off his shoulders. They were burning him. They were hurting him. He yelled in pain...

Rhys grimaced as his youngest friend gave another shriek. "Does anyone know if this has happened before?" Will questioned. The people who weren't panicking shook their heads. "Then call an ambulance!" he barked.

"Way ahead of you!" the Scotsman replied, staying as calm as possible. He dialled 999 and pressed "call", before bringing his mobile to his ear. There was no call sound. No beeps, no dial up noises. And then there was one beep; the call ended. He looked at his phone screen, almost in a daze, and saw the empty bars at the top corner. There was no signal. He reported this to the others.

"Landline!" the musician ordered, and the Scotsman rushed over to the phone. "Ryan, are you going to make yourself useful?" The musician instantly regretted saying it like that, but he got the message across. Ryan stopped pacing and looked at Will with puffy eyes. He gave a stark nod. "Move the table away from Lewis!"

Ryan began to push the table away, causing the ornaments on top of it to rattle. Pull yourself together. Pull yourself together, Ryan. Why are you being so emotional all of a sudden? You're usually the calm one. He kept repeating that to himself, thinking that if he thought it for long enough, he would eventually believe it. He knew why tears were brimming in his eyes; he felt guilty.

Will closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on what they needed to do next. His mind was swarming with waves of panic, he could barely form a coherent thought. Concentrate, cone on. He pulled up one memory. I was a dull memory of a breakfast show which showed you what you needed to do if this was to ever happen. The thing is, the dummy they used as an example was on the floor. For some reason, that was making it harder to work out what to do. "An important thing to remember is never try and hold them down; it will cause panic and possible pain as the person probably won't know what's going on..." Will let go of Lewis's shoulders...