Chapter Twenty-Three

They spent that night in silence, neither sleeping nor talking. Both of them were to subconsciously sacred to sleep, incase thier memories would betray them by makeing them relive what they had done. They weren't given their dinner, but they felt too sick to even consider the concept of eating. Morning rolled around, bringing no change to the atmosphere. You did it to help him, Ryan lied to himself. He did it as retaliation but had made himself feel worse. He could tell how angry Rhys was about it too.

The Scotsman was angry at the situation as a whole though, not specifically Ryan's actions. Sure, his younger friend looked way too eager to knock Lewis unconscious, but he understood that when Ryan looked at Lewis, he could only see the guilty face of the man who killed his best friend. He could tell Ryan felt guilt for what he had done; so, that meant he still cared about Lewis a little. That was all that mattered right now.

The ward's doors clicked and then opened. The nurse held them open as Mac pushed in a man on a hospital bed. It was Will. No one said a word, letting their faces do the talking. The nurse pulled an empty gurney away and Mac pushed Will into that vacant space. The musician had been changed into hospital clothes and his hair had been brushed to the sides. A multitude of blood bags hung above his bed, each one connected into his pale arms to replenish that which he had lost. His heart monitor beeped steadily, and his chest rose and fell lightly. An oxygen mask was strapped around his face, a thick tube running from under the bed and into his mouth hissed slightly at each breath. His eyes were closed as he slept dreamlessly.

Mac looked between Ryan and Rhys, expecting a question to be asked. They simply glared at him and he sighed, walking out of the room to return with their breakfasts of toast and cereal. He carried four mobile phones with him. "Police have finished their search at Alton Towers," he said neutrally. "They've returned your phones to us."

The two friends stared at him blankly.

"So, we'll give them back to you. I'm afraid you won't be able to contact anyone as we still can't let reporters discover the witness protection ward, but if you want to check your messages and things like that, you can."

"You just don't want us to tell people what you've done."

Mac placed the phones on an empty bed before forcing a small smile and left the ward; he didn't lock the doors. Rhys huffed angrily and looked at Ryan to his right, exchanging a look that had too many emotions to describe. He then looked to his left to see the purple-haired man sleeping soundly. Hey, Will, he thought with a sense of relief. Ryan stood up and collected all four phones, taking extra care when he picked up Baz's one. He silently passed Rhys his phone, and placed Will's beside the sleeping musician; only he knew the password to it, there was no point in trying to use it.

The first thing Ryan looked up was what the series of symbols on the IV bag had meant. He pulled out the small bit of tissue stuffed in his pocket and searched it on Google. C24 H30 N2 O3. The first thing that came up was something called "Carfentanil", some sort of extreme pain killer. He clicked on the link and began to read an article about how dangerous it was, how much was needed for a lethal overdose (which wasn't much), and it's uses. It's main one was a tranquilizer for large animals, namely elephants, which is why it had its nick name of "Elephant Tranquilizer". It took around one to five minutes to knock a healthy, male elephant unconscious. Why had they given that to Lewis!?

Rhys turned on his phone, willing the start-up screen to go faster, and hastily put in his pin to unlock it. Out of all of the websites and apps he could have checked first, he checked the news. "Tragedy at Alton Towers", "Kidnapping at Theme Park leaves one dead", "Alton Towers on Lockdown". He clicked on one randomly.