𝟭𝟵. family affairs

CHAPTER NINETEEN
i couldn't turn things around

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he red-haired girl lied on the bed next to her friend, a comfortable space between them. They slept soundlessly with their backs turned to each other. Aurora hugged the pillow closer to her body, and let her mind lulled into a, hopefully, dreamless sleep. But nightmares lurked in every corner of her mind, and it made her unable to sleep for a long time.

     Beside her, Gar was almost off the bed. Half of his body was draped over the edge of the bed, and his other arm was under his pillow. It looked uncomfortable, but trust me, it wasn't. Soft snores emitted from his mouth as he slept deeply. It was the most peaceful he'd looked.

     Meanwhile, Angela Azarath walked towards the bedroom and slowly opened the door. It creaked, but not enough to wake them up. She simply stood by the door and looked at the teenagers with an unreadable expression on her face. Maybe, even pity. Almost like, she knew what was about to come for them.

     Rachel walked up the stairs and stopped in front of an old photograph on the wall, taking the attention of her mother. Angela glanced at her only child before approaching her. "You should get some rest, too."

     The conversation went on as Rachel asked her mother about the darkness inside her, and if she got that from her father which she obviously did. Then Angela went on to explain that she can decide how to use it. But then again, everything comes with a price, and Rachel was ever so doubtful about herself. 

     Meanwhile, Dick, along with Donna, entered Kory's strange alien ship, which she just remembered, existed. It turned out, Rachel's help did work on her. Only a little later. Kory was starting to remember some things about herself, and how she ended up on Earth. The memories weren't there yet, but little by little, she was starting to put them together.

     There in the middle of the alien ship sat a console of some sort and a very old ancient book lay on top of it. The book almost looked untouched. Perhaps it had been as Kory hasn't been back to her ship ever since God knows when. The woman couldn't remember much.

     "It's called Gul'ron Dez Dire." Kory picked up the old thick book, caressing the leather front cover. "Death of Worlds."

     The two former sidekicks suddenly felt uneasy at the words as they shared a look with each other. Kory placed the book down on the table and carefully opened it. Dark, strange, and gruesome images of what looked like humans and strange creatures they'd never seen before greeted them.

     Kory stopped at an old page that showed words from another language. It looked ancient, and Dick had no idea what it says. Beside the scriptures were images, a strange picture of people, with their mouths wide open, like they were screaming in agony, their hands over their ears.

     Suddenly, Kory placed her palm over the console. A hologram appeared above it and their eyes snapped toward the technology. It looked like a planet, although the disturbing thing was — it was burning. Disintegrating into nothing, but a mere memory of the planet where it once stood.

     "We're looking at a future projection. Tamaran burning," Kory said grimly. "Unless Rachel dies, my world will."

      Dick didn't like the idea of that, and he questioned: "And how does Rachel do that?"