Chapter Four

ENGLAND

the crypt
jem carstairs + evelyn doyoung
-

It felt like being left in the dust after a horrific storm, and Evelyn was unfortunately the storm. Will leaned back in his chair, with an expression of both misery and satisfaction. Jem grimaced at him, feeling mostly disappointment in his parabatai, which was rare even for Will to inherit.

"What, James?" Will said, brushing his brow with the back of his hand, "I had to do it."

"You really didn't," Jem countered quietly, "If we are going by sharing secrets, then I should really tell Evelyn-"

Will cut him off with a look. Charlotte finally sat back down, straightening the knife she had knocked in the process.

"Yes, Will," she said, a little wearily, "It was really was unnecessary. Poor thing, she was terrified we'd ask her to use it. Apparently it's very painful."

Jem's stomach twisted and guilt ate at his skin. He was all too familiar with that kind of pain, that one you will never shake no matter what you do. He should have tried harder to stop Will.

In Jem's haze of regret, he managed to feel some sort of surprise that it was Henry who spoke next.

"Will, you'd better not ask her, you know, it's not fair."

"Yes, well said, Henry," Charlotte said, looking confused but pleased with her husband.

Will apparently was also confused at Henry's input as he looked incredulously around the table, "Why would assume it would be me?"

"Honestly, Will," Jessamine said scathingly from opposite, "It's always you, you know it is because you like it. But please don't. I like Evelyn."

"You actually like someone? Jessamine, has someone bashed you over the head?"

"Stop," Jem said finally, "Don't argue again."

The more they are talked about it, the worse he felt. They'd hurt her, and that felt awful. Jem wished a little bit that he could be as nonchalant as Will. It was like breaking a gentle bird's wings just because you could.

Charlotte sighed and frowned slightly, "None of you are to ask Evelyn anything. That is clear."

A ringing sounded, high and piercing. The familiar chime of front door bell.

"Goodness, already?" Charlotte barely had time to look flustered. She sprung up yet again, and ran her hands feverishly through her hair.

"Who is it?" Jessamine's eyes narrowed with curiosity.

"The Silent Brothers," Charlotte smoothed the front of her dress, distracted, "Well, then, Henry, please ask Sophie and Agatha to clear the table. Jessie, perhaps it would be best if you studied in the library today. You too, Will."

Will went to catch Jem's eye, a smirk on his face. Under different circumstances, Jem would have shared in his amusement, but now he averted his gaze.

"I'll get the door. Jem, you'd better find Evelyn, she likes you best, I imagine. And she needs to go to the Crypt."

Jem nodded, not really focusing. He stood up, grabbing his  cane from where it was leaning on the sideboard.
Will's eyes followed him, but Jem didn't turn towards him. Instead, he left the dining room without saying a word.