Eight

EMMA

I knock on the door of the large house and the woman who I assumed to be Mrs. Davis opened the door.

I mentally noted that her eyes were a little puffy, but not to an extreme; she didn't seem very sad.

Before I say anything, Ethan begins to speak, "Mrs. Davis," he looks over at me and back at her, knowing I asked him to let me talk first, "I'm Detective Dolan and this is Detective Chamberlain from the LAPD. We are sorry about your loss, we just want to ask some questions about you and your late husband."

She gives us a soft smile, "Sure, come in." She looked to be about thirty, she was also beautiful; strawberry blonde hair, dark eyes, clear complexion.

We follow her into the most perfect home; a grand entryway, spiral staircase, neatly arranged plants in almost every visible corner.

We then enter the living room, and take a seat on the leather couch.

"Can I get you guys anything? I made cinnamon rolls and I can brew fresh coffee," She asks us politely.

"Sure," I reply, Ethan nodding along.

She leaves the room and I turn to face Ethan, "I told you to let me do the speaking."

"And I told you I'm not going to be bossed around," he raises his eyebrows.

I scoff, "Anyways, she didn't seem too sad when we brought up Dr. Davis."

"She could be in shock," he made a good point.

Mrs. Davis returns with cinnamon rolls and coffee. I ignore them being place on the table, and begin asking questions when she takes a seat, "So when did you and your husband meet?"

"Well, we actually met when he was in his residency years of medical school. I work as a nurse at the hospital he was placed at, and we fell in love almost instantly. We got married 2 years ago, and recently had been trying for a family. I had to start taking fertility treatments though," her voice starts to break a little bit.

Ethan asks, "Do you know his colleagues and/or friends very well?"

She crosses her legs, "Yes, they all adored him and they always had us over for dinner."

"So he usually just went to work, came home, sometimes you guys had dinner with friends?" I add on.

She sighs, "That I know of, yes."

I look over at Ethan, and we nod over at each other.

"I think we have enough information right now, thank you for talking with us. We may be in touch again soon," Ethan says as we stand up.

We leave the beautiful home, and as we walk to the car,  Ethan quietly says, "Well seems like our doctor was either hiding something or she was."

I agree with and take a deep breath, "Yeah."

Ethan starts to walk to the driver's side and I run over, and place myself in front of the door, "I drive."

He leans in to whisper in my ear, his breath warmth traveling to my neck, "Sorry, but I control the rides." He leans away from my ear and a devilish smirk is placed on his face.

I roll my eyes, accept my defeat, and go to the passenger side. How could someone be so annoying but sexy at the same time?