1

Barry Allen weaved his way through the crowd, his best friend, Iris West, and younger brother, Sebastian Smythe, with him. They were at S.T.A.R. Labs to watch Harrison Wells's particle accelerator be activated.

Being together was a rare occurrence for the brothers. Sebastian's foster family currently resided in Paris, so visits for few and far between. The fifteen-year-old had somehow convinced his foster parents to leave school a week early for this, since it would be an 'educational experience'.

The reason that the teen was in foster care was a tragic one. When he was five, Barry had been eleven at the time, their mother was murdered, their father blamed for it. Barry had gotten lucky, and the court allowed Joe West, Iris's dad, to take him in. The same court had given some bullshit excuse as to why he couldn't foster Sebastian as well, So the child went to the Smythe's, a wealthy family who lived in the area. Not long after, they moved to Miami, Florida, and then Paris a few years after. He was sure the next move to be would be to Germany, or something like that.

Paris had changed Sebastian. When they were first there, he was quiet and usually kept to himself, but as the years went on, he grew more confident, and he came out as being gay when he was thirteen, something that had gone over better than he'd expected.

Harrison Wells walked onto the stage. "Thank you," he said. "My name is Harrison Wells. Tonight, the future begins. The work my team and I will do here will change our understanding of physics. We'll bring about advancements in power, advancements in medicine, and trust me, that future will be here faster than you think."

The crowd began clapping again, and Sebastian barely heard over top of it, Iris said, "Hey, my laptop. That has my dissertation!"

Barry began chasing after the guy who took Iris his bag, pushing through people to keep up with him. Sebastian and Iris followed him, attempting to keep up. However, they quickly lost him. When they caught up, Barry was sporting a bloody nose, and the perp had scaled the fence, landing on the other side effortlessly. Luckily for them, a cop was on the other side and stopped him, saying, "Freeze, unless you want to find out the hard way that you're not faster than a bullet."

"Barry are you okay?" Sebastian asked his brother.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Barry answered.

◃───────────▹

Sebastian set on top of Joe's desk, Iris in the chair. Barry had gone up to his lab to drop something off.

"How's school going?" Iris asked.

"Good," Sebastian answered. "I j-"

 Sebastian stopped short as the power went out.

"That storm must be getting bad," Iris said with a frown.

"Y-"

Sebastian's voice was drowned out by the loudest clap of thunder he had heard in his life. It left a ringing in his ears. "What the fuck?" he said. Iris slapped his shoulder lightly.

"Language," she said. Sebastian made a face at her. Every event following that moment, spanning out until hours later, was blurry to Sebastian. Sebastian next remembered standing in the waiting room of the hospital, tears streaming down his face. The thunder that he'd heard had come from inside the building, when a bolt of lightning had come through the skylight in the CSI lab, hitting Barry, who had been below it. Fortunately, he was still alive, but barely. Right now, he, along with Joe and Iris, were waiting for any news, good or bad. Joe had gone to grab himself a cup of coffee, and Iris had pulled the younger Allen sibling into a hug.

It was a while later when Sebastian saw a doctor coming towards them. Suddenly, he was terrified, he didn't want to know what the doctor had to say, he didn't want to hear that his brother was dead.

"He's comatose, but stable,"  The doctor said Sebastian sighed in relief.

"How long until he wakes up?" Iris asked.

"We don't know," the doctor answered. "He could never wake up."

Sebastian's heart dropped. "Can we see him?" he asked.

"He's in room 243," the doctor said, and Sebastian took off without a word. He reached the room and stopped in the doorway. Barry was hooked up to a bunch of machines and an IV, and a machine was breathing for him Barry didn't look like he was asleep. He looked too pale, and it scared him.

"Barry," he whispered, walking towards the bed. His tears had stopped a while ago, but seeing Barry like this, they started again. Iris came in after him. "It's not fair," he said and hugged her. "It's not fucking fair."

Iris didn't even scold him for swearing this time.

◃───────────▹

Sebastian had spent every moment since then next to Barry's bed. It had only been six days since the lightning struck him, and Sebastian had barely slept. When he did, he was sitting in his chair, his head resting on his shoulders and he'd wake up sore, not that he cared. Currently he was sitting with Joe, and Iris had just come in. The two were talking, but he didn't hear anything they said. His ears were attuned to the beeping of the heart monitor.

There had been no changes over the past few days, so Sebastian wasn't expecting Barry to start convulsing, his heart monitor going into a flat line. Sebastian jumped from his chair, his heart pounding in his ears. Moments later Sebastian was forced into the hallway by nurses.

"I thought they said he was stable," Iris said. Sebastian turned and walked down the hallway, he couldn't stand watching Barry like that. His vision was blurred as he raced through the halls. He didn't stop until he reached the hospital doors, going outside. He sat on the ground, allowing his tears to free-fall. He ignored the cold surrounding him, just crossing his arms to keep it at bay. It was snowing lightly, the flakes sticking in his hair and on his clothes. Minutes passed by, and frost began to form on his lashes where the tears had clung to them.

He knew he'd need to go in eventually, but he put it off. Going in would mean he'd have to go back to Barry's room, where his brother could be dead. So instead, he sat outside until he couldn't feel his toes, his fingers, or his face and his lips had begun to turn blue. He took his time going back to Barry's room, the heat of the air inside felt burning compared to the frigid air from outside.

Sebastian returned to the room, Joe had moved back into the room, Iris wasn't any where, and Barry's heart monitor was beeping as if he hadn't just flatlined, as if everything was perfectly fine. The teen felt relief that Barry was still alive. He moved his chair back to its previous position, sitting in it.

"Hey, kiddo," Joe said.

"Hey," Sebastian whispered. "Is-is he stable?"

"For now," Joe answered. "But I just spoke to Dr. Wells, he wants to move Barry to S.T.A.R. Labs, says he has better equipment."

Sebastian looked up at Joe. "What did you say?" he asked.

"I asked him to save Barry," Joe said. Sebastian felt conflicted. They were entrusting the man who just blew a whole in the city with his brother, but that same man had all sorts of tech to use that would do better for Barry than what the hospital had. He just nodded solemnly. He looked at Barry, waiting for him to start convulsing again, or for him to flatline; anything. But nothing.

Sebastian pulled his legs onto the chair, curling into a comfy position on it, where he found himself quickly falling asleep.

____

Starting it off short for today. Thoughts? Would you rather longer or shorter chapters? Let me know! New chapter soon! Constructive criticism is welcome :)

-Alex