Chapter 2: What's Lost Is Found

Anakin sat up from his reclined position and ran his fingers across her cheek, pushing the loose strands of hair against the back of her ear. " How do you feel?" he asked. " I'm just  a little tired is all. But.. The babies? Are they okay? Please don't tell me...," she began. 

"No, no, they're perfect. Hold on just a minute, Padme." He rose from his chair and walked across the room, where two cradles held Luke and Leia, each wrapped in a blue or pink wool blanket.

Carefully, Anakin placed Luke under Padme's eager, open arm and rocked Leia in his own arms. "Anakin, he's so handsome. He has your eyes- such lovely, blue eyes. And Leia... she's so beautiful."  

 " Like her Mommy." Anakin smiled down at her

Padme smiled back at him, soaking in the beauty of this moment. Seeing her happy again warmed Anakin's heart and he leaned in toward her and kissed her lips.  Again, she startled and his face filled with concern, after seeing the fearful look on her face. It was like a shot to the heart, worse than a thousand cruel words she could have said to him for what he'd done. 

"What is it?" he inquired.

"It's..  it's nothing. I'm just in shock that this is all happening," she quickly lied.

There was simply no way she could tell Anakin the truth, not now. She didn't feel she could trust him with it yet. Anyway, it was half the truth. She was very happy, but that didn't mean she was ready to bear her true heart to her husband. He'd never have to earn her love and devotion; trust  was something they'd have to work on after what happened. Luke's adorable face distracted her from these negative thoughts. And her heart swelled with love for her darling babies as she kissed Luke's soft head, gazing into those beautiful eyes and touching his skin.

She and Anakin switched, as she cradled Leia in her arms and looked down at bascially a replica of herself as an infant. The same solemn, brown eyes, oval face, and grecian nose. She meditated on the amazing mystery of having a child... how could she love these two human beings, whom she didn't even properly know, or hadn't even met till now? It was incomprehensible at the moment. All that mattered was that Anakin was his old self again.He was back and safe and so were their children.  

" Padme...," his voice halted her musings.  "How thoughtless of me! You must be starving for breakfast!"

Almost as if in response to his question, her stomach rumbled and she realized she was. " It's fine, Anakin. I am rather hungry, but honestly, I didn't notice it till now!" She laughed at herself. " I'm too happy!" she giggled.

"Is there anything in particular you want?" he asked, smiling at her again.

"No, thanks. Why don't you surprise me?" she suggested. He seemed to like the idea of this and kissed her one more time before heading out the door.

" I love you so much," he added, as he turned the corner.

" I love you too, Anakin. More than you'll ever know."

She turned on her side, tenderly laying Leia on the bed, while keeping her arms around her. Luke lay in his cradle, his bright, alert eyes focusing on the ceiling, his tiny body moving a little bit. She smiled down at him, feeling like she was living in a dream. Had it only been days before that she'd been crying her heart out to Anakin, hearing him utter things she couldn't fathom were coming from his mouth? It was unsettling to her the drastic amount of change that had taken place in him so fast. She was so relieved that he'd come to his senses so quickly. 

That had always been Anakin, proud of his abilities and often not willing to humble himself and take advice from his mentors, especielly Obi Wan. Not that she judged him for it; oftentimes, she'd dealt with the same issue. She recalled that he'd once angrily blurted out his emotions to her, while she was packing for the trip to Naboo, so long ago. He was to go with her as her guardian, and they had to dress as refugees in order to gain admittance,where they'd be hiding for her life. He'd expressed to her how Obi Wan was holding him back, was often too critical of his faults, and didn't have enough confidence in what he could do.

" Our mentors often notice more of our faults than we'd lik. It's the only way we grow," she'd wisely replied, after his temperish rant had subsided. He'd been particularly angry, when, during the course of the last month, he'd been denied the priviledge of becoming a master in the Jedi Council. Palpatine, or Darth Sidous, as he was now called, increased his confidence through flattery, causing pride. This was in direct opposition of the Jedi Way of humbly working hard to impove yourself. 

Now, though, he was simply different. There was hope for him yet, if he'd humbled himself enough to come back and apologize for what he'd done. Anakin reentered the room, carrying a tray of food, and her mouth watered as he set it down, taking the baby from her grasp and sitting in the rocking chair beside her.

"Dorme (Padme's handmaid) made it for you." He nodded to a plate with eggs and whole wheat toast on it.

" Thank you,  Anakin." She grinned up at him. "Mmm, it's divine," she pronounced as she took her first bite. Next to her, an ice-cold glass of water, joined by a blue porcelain bowl of colorful fruit, completed the meal. After she ate, she returned the tray to the table beside her. 

" She's so beautiful,"Anakin commented for the second time,as they enjoyed the peaceful silence. "You did an amazing job, Padme. I've never seen two more gorgeous children in my whole life," he told her. "Don't forget that you're their father. They have your wonderful traits and features too," she reminded him with a smile. He nodded in agreement. "Anakin,I feel so lazy just laying here. You've been so sweet, but I think I should get up and take a walk." "No, you don't," Anakin said, preventing her from rising with his hand.

" You need your rest, doctor's orders. There's nothing wrong with being lazy now and then, especially when you've just had our children, love," he reminded her gently.

"Well, if you insist. But I can't wait to be off his orders. I've never been one to sit around and do nothing. I can't wait to walk through all the old paths again and get some fresh air. I'm sorry, I don't mean to complain. Everything's been just perfect today and I don't want to ruin it," Padme said.

" There's no need to apologize. I understand," he replied.

They spent the rest of the afternoon doing just that, nothing. And it was actually quite good for Padme. She was an incredibly driven person and a hard worker, which was a good quality to have. But, sometimes she worked to the point of exhaustation and didn't allow herself the pleasures of rest and rejuvenation.

Certainly, after the traumatic time period previous to this day, she needed both these things. Anakin read her poems and stories, some of the poems which he had written. This kept her occupied and entertained, while she nursed the babies. For the next few days, she reveled in the renewed energy she began to receive. A healthy diet and plenty of sleep and water soon found her in a much better condition than she'd been before. Soon, she felt her old self again, both physically and emotionally.