cheryl and toni at school

xxx

Toni was never not amazed by Cheryl Blossom. The redheaded HBIC was always just that. A head bitch in charge who never let anyone dull her sparkle. Or at least she didn't let anyone know if they did. But Toni had seen the side of Cheryl that no one else in the school had ever seen, except maybe Veronica. Toni got to see Cheryl at her most vulnerable, in a state where her walls were down just enough to let someone in to help her through her pain. She knew it couldn't have been easy to maintain her normal 'mean girl' act around Toni after she had found her in the state she was in at the Sisters of Quiet Mercy.

It was just a few days after her rescue and Cheryl was...different. She'd spent the past two days rather depressed, trying to get back on her feet after such a horrid week and a half in that awful place. But Toni was more than accommodating, making her as comfortable as possible in her trailer, telling her that she could go back to school when she was ready, and that there was no need to rush back into it. Or rush anything between the two of them either, for that matter.

But today was the day that Cheryl woke up at her usual five am, showered, dressed in some of Toni's clothes, did her hair and makeup, and forced herself through the doors of Riverdale High with her girlfriend on her arm for the world to see. No one knew about them except for Veronica and Kevin. Of course, there was speculation, and lots of it.

But Cheryl was sick of the rumors and lies.

She was sick of hiding and putting her own happiness aside to avoid the judgment of others. Life's too short to not get what you want. And Cheryl wanted to be herself.

"Babe, you don't have to do this if you're not comfortable with it," Toni said as they dismounted her motorcycle in the school parking lot with the rest of the serpents. Sweetpea, Fangs, and the rest of Toni's closer friends knew about the two of them, and they were ready to punch the lights out of anyone who dared even look at the two girls the wrong way.

"Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to get what you want out of life," Cheryl sighed inwardly with an admittedly nervous grin.

"Well, you've got me regardless of if the whole school knows or not," Toni reached up to stroke her cheek gently, glancing her up and down, "You look good in my clothes, by the way."

"I look good in everything," the redhead winked and leaned in to kiss her cheek before grabbing her hand, "Come now, or we'll be late for homeroom."

Toni followed eagerly, letting Cheryl link their fingers together tightly. Looking at her, Cheryl looked like the bad bitch she presented herself as. Head held high with confidence and no fear. But Toni could feel her fingers trembling between her own as they walked up the front steps of the school building. She held Cheryl's hand a bit tighter as people's heads turned and the halls filled with whispers. Some people even holding their phones up for pictures or videos, as if they were celebrities on the red carpet. Surely, the twitter-verse would be blowing up with the news within the next few minutes. But Toni just cared about the girl beside her whose face was glued in the same expression of confidence despite her trembling hands giving her true feelings away.

If Cheryl was fine with this, then so was she.

xxx

Sweets said that we should name our first kid Rocket. I punched him in the gut for you.
xx

Cheryl threw her head back with a laugh as she read the note Toni had left in her locker. This was becoming one of her favorite parts of the day, dropping books off in her locker after third period. Toni had gotten into the habit of dropping little notes through the slits of her locker door on her way to her second period AP English class, since she passed it on the way. The two girls still texted throughout the day when they could, but Toni had been dropping notes off every day for the past few months now and it had just become a thing of theirs.