When The Moon Is Gone And The Sun Rises

The seasons changed from summer to fall. Seokjin had to go back to class, so he couldn't visit daily like he did during the summer. He cried in private after he told Jungkook. He did make an exception on Jungkook's birthday by playing hooky from class and spending the entire day with him.

He tried to get permission from the hospice staff to take him outside of the center for a day to an arcade, but with Jungkook's increased risk of seizures, they denied his request. Instead, he spoke with Ms. Lee and arranged a little surprise birthday party with the staff and other patients. Seokjin even mentioned to Ms. Lee to invite Jungkook's parents.

Despite being there a lot over the summer, he never crossed paths with them. Jungkook said they would visit once a week, but Seokjin was inclined to believe it might be once a month. Time works different in the hospice center, or so it seemed to Seokjin.

The day of Jungkook's birthday party, he arranged the community room with balloons, a cake, and an ensemble of staff and patients that Jungkook was close with and closed the doors. He even had a little surprise for him.

"Where are we going?" Jungkook asked the nurse as he was wheeled down to the entertainment room on the first level.

The doors to the center swung inwards and Seokjin started playing "Happy Birthday" on the community piano while singing.

It was the first time Seokjin had played an instrument for Jungkook, and the delight and shock on his face was worth making him wait.

The party went smoothly. Seokjin and Jungkook talked during the entire party. Staff and other patients would come over and interrupt to wish the younger a happy birthday and then move on to grab some cake. The party seemed to dissolve around Seokjin and Jungkook as they talked. It didn't go unnoticed by staff who weren't surprised the two got along so well.

Seokjin and Jungkook stayed in the community room long after the party was over. The cake had been cleaned up by staff and all the residents had gone back to their daily routine.

"Can you play some more piano for me?" Jungkook asked, eyes glittering in the midday sun that shone through the large bay windows of the community room.

"Well..." Seokjin said. "There is a song I've been working on. I don't have any lyrics to it yet, but I have most of the piano melody laid out..."

Seokjin went over to the piano, Jungkook following close behind in his wheelchair to sit next to the older while he played.

The song was slow and the melody moved through Seokjin fluidly down through his fingertips. He had been working on this song for several months now and it felt different when he played it this time. Normally, he didn't play a song to an audience until it was finished, but Seokjin and Jungkook were close and he felt he could share almost anything with him.

When Seokjin was done playing, he hesitated, waiting for Jungkook to say something. To his surprise, he heard a sniffle come from the younger.

Seokjin turned to see Jungkook smiling, but with tears streaming down his face.

"It was beautiful... but it was also so sad..." Jungkook finally said.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry," Seokjin said, scooting closer to Jungkook to wipe the tears from his cheeks.

Jungkook gave a thick laugh and swatted Seokjin's hand away. "Normally you would tease me about going soft on you."

Seokjin lowered his hand and thought about it for a little bit. "I know... Today's your birthday though and I just felt bad about making you cry."

Jungkook rolled his eyes and wiped his face dry. "I'm fine. You should feel honored that you moved me to tears."

"I do..." Seokjin said, quietly.