A Pleasure to Meet You

On that 4th evening in Blackwood, the new party of an Elf and a Man was formed. Elena grabbed Cielo's cloak, wrapping it around herself, and put her bright blue necklace back on. She took one last look in the mirror, staring into her own green eyes, and ran her hands through her hair, combing it softly with her fingers. Elena was impatient at best, and continued to play with her hair or her face or her clothing or jewelry while she waited for Cielo's return, for he had head out to gather some supplies for their journey. They would head out at nightfall, for they knew the Castian Empire would search for Elena still, and if word was to break out, Cielo would also be joined among the hunted for his actions against Felix.

Cielo took a stop at the Orc blacksmith, spending what remained of his gold coins on a new blade. He didn't have much money, so he opted for the cheapest sword available, which ended up being a long dagger, if you could even call it that. It was only a single edged blade, but somehow, Cielo knew it was still reliable, for the crafts of the Orcs were always high quality, and he had faith in this one's skills. Cielo tossed the gold coins at the Orc, wished him thanks, and headed to the market stalls before they closed for the night, gathering food and blankets and fire starters for their long journey. He also picked up a pair of small shoes, for he was worried for Elena walking barefoot in the wilderness. Before he knew it, Cielo was now penniless, but he had everything the two of them would need. With that, Cielo headed back to the inn.

"Here you are," Cielo sighs walking back into her room. He tossed the shoes in her direction, and she was astonished at his kind deed, looking at him through her mirror.

"Shoes?" she asked. "Sorry, but I don't wear them! They're very uncomfortable and restraining."

Cielo, trying his best to hold in his frustration, picks up the gift and stores them in his backpack. Elena lets out a laugh, seeing his face all scrunched up from disappointment through the mirror.

"At least I tried to do something nice, for once," he exclaims. "Are you ready to head out?"

"No."

"Yes you are. Let's go, before we seem suspicious when we do try to leave."

Elena stands up after hearing this, interested in the conversation now. She turns to him, remembering about the other day.

"You know, you never told me you were handy with a sword. I was worried you wouldn't make it out alive after charging recklessly at those soldiers like that." She couldn't make eye contact with him.

Cielo walks up and tilts her chin up for her. "Make eye contact when you speak to people, it's impolite if you don't. And about the question, I'm just not one who likes to judge his own skill. It's just something I know how to do," he reassures her.

Before she knew it, Elena's face turned pink, contrasting her pale skin. She pulled away, hiding her face from Cielo, and the two continued to pack their remaining things awkwardly. He wasn't sure why he held her face, but it's in the past. After what felt like a long pause, Cielo turns back towards Elena.

"Say, do you even know where we're headed? Which way are we supposed to go? I haven't a clue where your home is," Cielo asks patiently. "Is it anywhere nearby?"

"Just follow me, and we'll end up in the right place!" Elena jumps up, twirling around and giving him a smile. "I'm all ready to go! What about you, slow poke?"

"Shut it, you don't even know where we're going."

Elena pouts, but continues to show her joyful side, spinning around and letting her dress flow with her. Cielo sees how open she is around him now, and is glad that the awkward tension between them has reduced. Maybe he can finally have a meaningful conversation with her.