Chapter 17

They set out, walking through the village in silence. Once they left the buildings they ran for a while until reaching the border of the Land of Wind. They crossed over without incident but kept their guard up. The terrain was still forested but she knew it wouldn't last long. All too soon the ground turned to sand beneath their feet, the cold sand whipping their faces. Turning her back to the wind she wrapped a cloth around her head, covering all but her eyes. She saw him do basically the same, shoving some bandages into the already bandaged sides of his face to keep them in place. Smirking she noticed that his new bandages made the old ones look quite worn.

 Eventually they came across a small town and took shelter in a bar. Juzo ordered a drink but Ami stuck with water. She'd never liked the desert and would rather keep her wits about her. (The fact that she wasn't old enough to drink had never stopped her before.) Night had fallen by now and Juzo was busy chatting up a trampy looking girl so Ami headed to the closest hotel with a "See you in the morning."

The room was small but fine, and she laid out on one of the sleeping mats, allowing herself to drift off. At 2 in the morning she was woken suddenly by a banging on the door. Cursing under her breath she strode to the door, opening it swiftly. An exceedingly drunk Juzo was outside with the tramp and he shoved past her, pulling the girl towards the spot she'd been sleeping just moments before. Her first thought was How'd he know where my room was?, followed swiftly by Hell NO! He can't really think he's going to be fucking her in here!

"What the FUCK JUZO?!" She yelled, circling in front of him and punching him in the face. He reeled backwards and she turned on the hooker, who he'd released during the hit, thankful that the alcohol impeded his strength. Get the Hell OUT! She knew she must look crazy and she welcomed it. The girl ran from the room.

"Whatdya d'thafor?" Juzo slurred, stumbling over from where he'd landed. "Yur jus jelouseh?" His hand closed tightly on her left upper arm, "Yaknow, yer kinda cute.." his face coming nearer. With an uppercut to his jaw they separated and she tapped into something she hardly ever used - she glared at him, encasing his body (except for his head) in ice. He toppled over and she rolled him away from where she'd been sleeping, getting back under the blankets. Go melt somewhere where it won't affect me. He yelled and swore for a while and in response she threw water at his face. Finally he seemed to come to himself. "Wwwhat the hhhell Ami, I'm fffreezing!" Focusing on him once more she let her chakra warmth flow to the ice, thawing him out until he managed to break the rest of it and sat, wrapping himself in a blanket. Feeling like she might become dizzy she lay back down. I hate having to be precise. Would have been soo much easier to just make him into a fireball... and if I wasn't already exhausted. "Wwwhy'd you ddo that?!" He was angry and cold, but at least he wasn't drunk.

"Juzo." She muttered, on the verge of passing out. "Never bring a hooker to my room ever, and if you so much as look at me like that again I'll use the fire instead of the ice." Her eyes closed and she blacked out, not even awake enough to enjoy the look of contempt and anger on his face.

Oh I'm so tired!! Stupid light, go away. I should have just melted him with a fireball instead of using my eyes. Would it really have mattered if I burned the place down? At least I'd feel rested right now. Well, maybe. At the very least I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore. Suddenly realizing what her thoughts meant she snapped her eyes open, ignoring the accompanying slight pain in her head. They'd been planning to leave at sunrise but that clearly wasn't the case anymore.

"Morning kid. Way to sleep in." A deep voice came from the other side of the room. Looking over she saw Juzo sitting on the other sleeping mat, seemingly doing nothing but relaxing.

"You should have woken me."

"After last night I decided not to piss you off right away."

"Smart decision. Let's go."