Chapter 41

By the time that Ami and Akita returned to the Oinosu everyone was back, Kakashi thankfully still in one piece. He was sitting on the ground being swarmed once again by the pups. Asahi watched him closely, ready to attack if he so much as looked at one of them wrong... though personally Ami thought that he'd just like the excuse. For all that Asahi disliked her, she knew that he'd dislike Kakashi more.

Going to him she introduced Akita. The meeting was a little strained - neither mentioned the last time they'd met. Ami wasn't sure how long they stayed outside but one by one the wolves went to their own dens, Akita eventually taking all her pups to go sleep. Finally after what seemed like forever it was just the two of them. Laying back on the grassy area Ami looked up towards the sky. Next to her Kakashi did the same.

"I used to lay here just looking at the stars, cuddled up with Akita." She smiled wistfully. As always the stars were bright.

"I can see why you like this place so much." His hand found hers. It was warm, comforting. "I'm sorry that you've had to stay away for so long."

"Me too."

"But that doesn't have to be the case anymore." His voice was low, warm, and caused her to shiver slightly.

"Thank you."

Maneuvering slightly he kissed her lips gently. She kissed him back, trying to convey how much she loved him, but then she pulled away. Despite how much she wanted to be with him, she didn't want the entirety of the Oinosu to hear them going at it.

"When we get home." She whispered. "Come on." Leading him to her cave she lit the fire and the two fell asleep quickly.

Waking up with Kakashi in the Oinosu was like a dream, though not one she'd ever really thought she'd live to see. She showed him around the surrounding area, all her favorite places to go. When she asked him about his meeting with Reo he wouldn't say what they discussed though, and she left it at that. Too soon they were saying goodbye to the wolves, but this time their goodbye wouldn't be for long.

Returning home to the kids they were both happy to find that Naruto and Hinata hadn't had any problems. The remainder of the day was spent at the park with their children and then enjoying each other's company once the kids were sleeping.

Since visiting the Oinosu it became a regular visit, Kakashi Ami and the children going for at least a few days each month. It was a few days since their most recent trip that Naruto showed up to the house unannounced.

"Oh, hi Naruto." Ami greeted him in surprise when she opened the door. "What's up?"

"Whew. I got here as fast as I could." Naruto started to explain, taking a few deep breaths. He'd obviously sprinted over. "Kakashi just sent me to watch the kids - he says he needs to see you right away."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know Ami." Naruto shrugged. "But there were some new people at his office today." He shrugged.

Without delay Ami set out, using a shadow flicker technique to get there faster. Knocking on the door and then entering without waiting for a response she paused, taking in the scene. An older man was sitting across from Kakashi, both turning to look at her as she entered. She stared, not expecting to see him for a long time, if ever. There was a deliberate amount of grey in his black hair now, but apart from that he hadn't changed. He met her gaze, his golden eyes as bright as ever.

"Uncle." She said simply. "What are you doing here?"

"We heard that there was a new Hokage."

"Yes but your people..."

"My people agreed that it might be time to allow ourselves to once again be known to the world."

Kakashi, who had been watching their interaction, caught her eye.

"I wish you would have told me about your family." He didn't sound accusatory, more just curious.

"I wanted to respect their privacy." He nodded in understanding. "Did you come alone?" She asked her uncle.

"No. Tarin and the children went to explore the city."

"Oh. Well, I'd love to see them. Umm.. has Kakashi told you.."

"I am aware that the two of you are together and that you have your own children these days. I would like to meet them." Somehow this felt like a sort of test. Maybe he'd come because he wanted to see if they possessed the Goruden eyes?

"Of course, but they're both still very young."

He rose from his chair and walked towards her.

"I know."

"Why-"

"The main reason that we traveled here was not to meet your children. Last time we met, your chakra was not doing well." Their eyes met and she understood as a soft smile came to his lips. "Your chakra is no longer dull."

"I have Kakashi to thank for that." She glanced over at the man who was looking bemused, waiting to be let in on whatever was going on.

"There are a few matters that I need to discuss still regarding trading laws from the Land of Tigers." Ami nodded.

"Want to do dinner around six? You can come to our house and meet the boys. I'd like Kakashi to be able to meet the rest of my family.

"I would like that too." Kakashi smiled at her."

"Very well." Her uncle agreed. We will see you tonight."

With that Ami left the office, grinning from ear to ear. Finally her families would meet, something that had been obvious with her wolves, but felt right with her relatives as well. She looked forward to Kakashi meeting them all. To finally sharing every bit of her history with him. Most of all though she looked forward to the future, one in which all the people whom she loved were intertwined. One which had the potential to be even better than a Tsukoyomi.  

THE END