Chapter 6

Eleanor's POV

"Ellie!" Ashton's voice interrupts my train of thought. "Ellie!"

I step into the hallway, very aware of my messy hair. At least I don't have any make up to worry about. I'm not one of those girls. You know the type, forever checking their hair and re-doing lipgloss. They drive me crazy.

"Present time," says Ashton, reaching for my hand.

I grin at him. He knows I love presents. When I was young, I used to cry at other people's parties because I didn't get any presents. I was a strange child. I hope Josh turns out like his dad, and not like me.

Okay, Eleanor. Just forget Josh for a little bit, and hold your boyfriend's hand like he wants you to. Just because Josh is at home with your mum, not you, does not mean the world is going to end.

Ashton leads me into the lounge. "Eleanor!" Luke yells, grinning at me in that lovesick puppy way of his.

"Oh my God Luke. Your shoulders are so broad! You really are a man now," I grin back. Luke sticks his tongue out a me childishly.

"The prettiest gets her present first!" Harry, Ashton and Marcel exclaim at the same time.

"ME!" Calum grins.

While everyone is laughing at Calum, Ashton hands me his gift. I open the card and a coupon slips out. 'Dear Ellie,' it reads. 'I missed you. Here is a coupon for as many free drumming lessons as you want. From Ash x'. I rip at the wrapping paper and smile broadly when I see the contents.

Drumsticks.

I hug Ashton and Grace and Olivia hug their own boyfriends. "When can we start those lessons, hmm?" I ask, smiling across at Ashton.

Before he has time to answer, my phone rings. "Let it ring," I tell Ashton. "You're more important than any phone call."

My phone continues to play the most annoying ringtone in creation. "No, El. You get it, it might be important," says Ashton.

I thank him and step out into the hallway. It's my mother. I left her at home to look after Josh. Apparently, my mother has to go into work. It's urgent, and she needs me to come home. I sigh out an 'okay' and go back to the lounge.

"I am so sorry, Ashy. I have to go. I uh... Left my cat in the oven." I am so going for worst excuse of the year.

Ashton laughs, taking it as a joke. "No, what really happened?"

Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

"It's 'that time'," I lie, feeling horrible.

Ashton blinks and then nods, saying he'll text me. I tell the others goodbye, hug everyone and rush home.

My mum is just leaving.

And so I spend my afternoon with my black haired, brown eyed baby. I wish he was Ashton's.