Chapter 1-Love Train

Lily sighed as she dragged her trunk behind her. It was a shame, she thought, that she wasn't 17 yet so she could charm her trunk to just follow her to the platform.

She turned to wave goodbye to Petunia, but she was already walking away-shoulders stiff. She waved to her parents instead, who stood with their arms wrapped around each other.

Lily bit her lip, trying not to cry. She squared her shoulders, turned and strode away towards the entrance to the platform.

Lost in her worries, she didn't see him until she crashed into him.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" she cried, reaching down to pick up the scarf she'd knocked off the trunk.

Grabbing it quickly, she looked up as she handed the scarlet scarf back to him. Realizing who it was, she pursed her lips.

"Oh," she repeated, less apologetically, "Hi, Potter."

James had been waiting outside of the platform entrance, and had ignored Sirius telling him to come in with him.

"How do you know she's not already on the train?" he had asked, playfully shoving James.

James had rolled his eyes and pushed him back towards the entrance.

"Go, Padfoot. I'll meet you in our usual compartment," he said to Sirius's back; he had already started walking away; shaking his head and laughing as he went.

Lily's crash entrance flustered him, but he had resolved to be smoother this year. He and Sirius had spent the summer practicing, although he had to begrudgingly admit he'd never be as suave as his friend.

He smiled at her as her eyes met his- tactfully ignoring how her tone had shifted when she realized it was him.

"Hello Evans," he said, "It's so nice to see you."

Lily rolled her eyes at him, choosing not to respond to his tone.

"What are you doing standing out here alone? It's almost time for the train to depart."

Lily watched him as she spoke, realizing that he blushed a little bit when she questioned him.

It was now James's turn to not respond to her.

He turned a bit and said, "You're right, let's go."

He grabbed her trunk from behind her and pulled it along with his own, shooting her another grin. They ran through the brick entrance and stood on the other side of Platform 9 3/4.

Lily reached around James for her trunk, huffing out a little breath when he didn't release it.

"What are you doing?" she asked, annoyed.

He looked down at her, "What kind of a gentleman would I be if I didn't carry this on the train for you?"

Lily sniffed, "Fine."

She smiled to herself. Potter carrying her trunk was a fine substitute for magicking it along.

She turned around without saying anything else and jumped on the train.

James followed close behind, eyes trained to the shock of red hair he had so dearly missed over the summer.

The train fell back a bit, and then lurched forward, steam billowing and filling the train station as they swept smoothly away.

Note: this is a rather short start but I swear the chapters get longer as you go! And better😏