Chapter 1

Everyone in our school knows their parents, only I am special. As special as someone can be here. I was raised here, at the 'School for Gifted Children'. Ha, gifted, we should be called as we are. Freaks with powers. That is how I was called before I was brought here. They found me on the streets, clueless of my powers, dirty, hungry and four years old.

I never knew my parents, they left me when I was born. A young couple found me, they didn't have children so they took me in. At a year and a half, I knew how to walk, talk and had discovered a part of my powers, Air. The first time it happened was in my crib at "home", I raised my hand and a big gust of air went through the room. My adoptive parents never found out. Two years later they found out that "my mom" was pregnant and after seven months they had their own baby boy. By that time I had developed my powers, growing stronger and smarter, more than anyone my age. I had discovered Earth and Water. My adoptive parents were afraid I would hurt their child so they left me in front of a church in the town over. They left me alone. Just like my parents.

I didn't stay in front of the church, I left the steps of the church and went looking for somewhere to sleep. I didn't the church's sympathy. No one wanted me. I almost starved to death, no one wanted to help the filthy and freaky three years old girl. I started stealing food to survive, apples and bread from carts in the market. No one suspects a small kid running around. There were some other homeless kids, always running around in the market. One of them would try to talk to me when I sat alone next to a shelter that would sometimes give us blankets. At first, I didn't speak to him, letting his words fly over my head. He would talk about how he saw me stealing stuff in the market, he talked in praise, not in a blaming way. Slowly I opened up to him, talking a little bit more with him every day. I found out he and his brother lived on the streets alone, stealing like me. He started walking around with me in the market. He was my first friend. Chris.

Eventually, he introduced me to his brother, he was five years older than me. Chris was only three years older than me. They started showing me how they survive on the streets, stealing more than food from the market carts, but money and jewelry from people there. That's how I spent the next three years, stealing and living with Chris and his brother Jake. I didn't have a name to tell them, I didn't want to use the name my "parents" gave me, so they decided to call me Emma, just a name they heard at the market. Until then, that was the happiest year of my life. 

I discovered the last of my powers the night before they came. I hid it from Chris and Jake, I didn't want to know, they hadn't seen my powers and I didn't want them to know about them at all.

~~

They came at night, walking around Chris and Jake to reach me. 

I could hear them talk.

"Poor little girl," a woman said, "she is all alone."

"From what we've gathered she gets along pretty good with the two boys." a man said.

"Still," the woman said, "she is six,  and she has no family."

I felt her crouch behind me and gently put her hand on me.

"Sweetie," she said softly "wake up, we are here to help you, you need to come with us"

I didn't want to get up, I didn't want to go anywhere, I was fine with Chris and Jake. She tried a couple more times to wake me up but couldn't. 

I heard her say "Ed, would you pick her up?"

The man named Ed sighed but I soon felt arms pick me up. I heard Chris move around beneath me. 

"Emma?" he mumbles.

The woman touched his head and he fell back asleep. 

The man walked with me his arms for about fifteen minutes. He then put me down, sitting up. I felt a gentle hand put a belt on me. We were driving somewhere. After an hour of driving, I felt them unbuckle me and Ed picked me up again. We went upstairs, turned a couple of times, then up more stairs. Then finally he put me down on, this time on lying down, on something soft, a bed. I opened my eyes slightly and saw a man, probably Ed, he was tall and had short black hair, he wore dark blue jeans and a black jacket.

"I will alert the SGC that we found her," he said, "the boy called her Emma, is that her real name?"

"I don't know, Brandany only knew the name that her adoptive parents gave, and it isn't Emma."

"We can ask her when she wakes up," Ed said as the bed started to tremble "I hate spaceships..." He mumbled.

They went out and closed the door. As we took off my head was twirling from everything that happened and I drifted to sleep.

~~