Chapter 1

The warm summer breeze hits his face as he stood at the back of the truck. The birds singing and chirping as they passed by the greeny fields of the countryside. He hums a tune as excitement filled his nerves.

He heard the news from his mother that they'll have a new neighbor today! "Zhan, stop jumping!" His mother scolded inside the truck. The little boy named, Xiao Zhan laughed and quickly apologize to his mother.

"Sorry, I'm just excited!" He reasoned out happily and couldn't wait to get home. His father laughed, "Dear, Zhan is happy to finally have a playmate."

"I'm just worried he'll fall from jumping," her mother said and then a smile rose from her lips. "And when did he learn that?"

"From me," she chuckled in reply.

They arrived at their house not too long after and little Zhan immediately jumped off the truck as soon as it stopped moving. "Mama! Where are they?" The 11 years old boy whined and her mother pats his head. "Honey, why not help me make pie and deliver it to their house, yeah?"

The little boy's frown quickly turned to a wide smile. "Of course!"

He ran inside the wooden house, painted with soft yellow with the roofs painted in dark orange. It looked simple but that's the only place Xiao Zhan can call home. Almost tripping as he happily made his journey to the kitchen to prepare the materials needed for the pie. "He sure is full of energy," Xiao Zhan's father said as he carries a sack of rice and followed his son inside. "Ah, he sure is."

The mother and son baked together in the kitchen as the aroma of the area felt heavenly as the scent of apple pie filled the whole house. "How many minutes left, mama?" Little Zhan asks impatiently as he swings his legs on the stool his currently sitting on. "Just a five more minutes. How about you clean that smudged flour on your face and change some clothes?" His beloved mother said as she wipes his face.

"Okay, but quickly tell me if it's done!"

"Will sure do, kiddo."

Getting off from the stool, he dashed up the creaky wooden stairs with a huge smile on his face. I can't wait to see my new friend!

Scattering his closet and takes the first shirt his small hands can reach, he quickly changes and washes his face with a clean basin of water inside the bathroom. "Zhan! The pie is done!" His mother called out from downstairs and the younger couldn't be happier.

He immediately went down and jumped for joy in the kitchen counter. "Give! Give!" He chants as he raised his small hands to reach the newly baked pie.

"Be careful, honey. It's still hot. Get the green cloth and use the basket," his mother softly ordered and settled the pie on the counter. Without wasting a second, the little boy took all the things his mother order him to get.

Placing the green cloth inside the basket, the pie was gently placed inside. "Alright, always welcome our new neighbors with a warm smile, okay? And don't forget to introduce yourself!" His mother explains and ruffled the hair of her son.

"Okay, mama! I'll be going!" He said as he made his way outside their house. Their new neighbor just moved in from the house next to their's. Xiao Zhan grew up being lonely in the neighborhood since everyone is old or a bunch of grown up teenagers.

But today's his lucky day and finally have a playmate to play with. Happily skipping his way to the other house, he hums and as he stops on the door step, he rings the doorbell.

After a couple of seconds, the door slowly opens with a creak and little Xiao Zhan was about to great when suddenly a small kid was the one who opened the door. "Ah, hello there! I'm Xiao Zhan, you can call me, Zhan-ge? I've brought you apple pie as a welcoming gift!" He introduces himself with a smile and the smaller boy just looked at him with an indifferent look on his face.

Why isn't he saying anything? Is he mute?

"Yibo, why are you just standing there? Let the guest come in," a woman's voice said from the inside and the door completely opens. The younger boy, now known as Yibo, steps aside silently and just looked at Xiao Zhan.

"Oh! You must be Mrs. Xiao's son! Please come in and thank you so much," she said and motions Xiao Zhan to enter the house. "Good noon, Mrs. Wang, I hope I'm not intruding," he politely replied and removes his shoes at the doorstep.

He was led inside and he saw some unopened boxes, maybe some things inside when they moved in. Little Xiao Zhan also saw different picture frames hanged on the wall, most of them were filled with the impassive looking boy. Who is now currently hiding behind his mother.

"Wang Yibo is pretty shy to new people," she explains and pats the head of her son. "Hello, Yibo! I'm your new playmate!" Little Zhan said as he extended his arm to shake hands with the younger.

Wang Yibo's mom urges him to shakes hands with the other boy. In the end, the did shake hands and Xiao Zhan happily smiled with his cute bunny teeth showing. "Hope you like this pie that we've made."

"You... Made that?" The younger whispered and looks at Xiao Zhan. With a nod, he once again smiled, "You can try it!"

Wang Yibo's mother smiled at the sight of the two children interacting with each other. Finally, Yibo won't feel lonely again. Since he's only close with his brother named, Liu Hai Kuan.

Eventually, the two boys became close and played non-stop the whole afternoon. "You're it!" Xiao Zhan said as he ran around the green garden. He's being chased by Yibo as they kept running in circles.

"Yibo! Supper is ready!" His father called out from the porch and the two boys immediately stopped. "I guess it's time to go home," little Zhan said and was about to leave when suddenly someone grabbed his shirt. He looks down and saw little Yibo is the one holding him. "Come back tomorrow?" He asks as he looks away.

Xiao Zhan smiled widely and replied, "I'd love to!"

---
Sorry for the typos! Point it out please!