Chapter 4

"Sir, why am I suddenly promoted as the PA? I didn't do anything worth praising," Xiao Zhan explains. "You don't want to be promoted?" The CEO asks as he puts a hand under his chin and leans on his desk.

"Yes! I mean no- Uh, I do love to get promoted but I feel bad since I'm not deserving for such a position," he says as he rubs the back of his neck. The CEO just looks at him and Xiao Zhan felt very nervous.

"I'm sorry but I really don't take a no, for an answer," he states calmly and took a sip from the coffee that Xiao Zhan made. "Can you please give me time to think, sir? And are you sure you didn't choose the wrong person? I'm just a common worker. I think someone else should be your-"

"Stop degrading yourself," he says coldly again and Xiao Zhan immediately zips his mouth. "I heard you're a very hard worker and also, I love the coffee that you make," the CEO compliments and Xiao Zhan felt the anxiety was replaced with happiness. Since not everyone gives him compliments in the office, most of them were filled with toxic people. For example, He Peng.

He couldn't help but smile. "I'm sorry, just give me some time to think about it, sir?" Xiao Zhan asks as he glances at the CEO. "Alright, I'll give you three days," he replied. "Much thanks, Mr. Wang," and with that, Xiao Zhan bowed his head as he excused himself. The door closes with a click and the CEO chuckles a little.

"Xiao-ge, sure is forgetful."

• • •

"Where did you go?" Yu Bin asked worriedly as he approached his friend.

"Ah, CEO's office," Xiao Zhan whispered as he sat down on his office chair with a sigh of relief. "What did you do there? How did it go?"

"I honestly don't know what happened back there," he whispered. "Ah? What do you mean you don't know?" Yu Bin asks in confusion.

Xiao Zhan signaled his friend to come closer. Yu Bin moves his seat for a bit and leaned closer in attempt to listen. "He suddenly wants me to hire as his PA."

Yu Bin gives a gasp. "Wow! Congratulations, Xiao-" He immediately covers his co-worker's mouth and motion to zip his lips about it. Yu Bin nodded and Xiao Zhan slowly removes his hands. "I'll tell you more during lunch break."

Both of them went back to work and Xiao Zhan continued to work on the marketing sales.

• • •

Lunch break came and Xiao Zhan stretches his arms. "My back hurts for sitting too long," he complains and Yu Bin hands him an green ointment in a bottle, it has minty and cool scent. "It's a medicine my older sister made."

"Ah, Ziyi sure is amazing. Thanks, Bin," he said with a smile as he received the ointment.

After applying some, the two men stepped out of the building for lunch break and went to a nearby eatery. They sat down to one of the vacant tables and ordered their food.

"Aren't I very lowkey?" Xiao Zhan starts, "Also, isn't the CEO still new? I don't know how he knew who I was and what struck in his mind to make me his PA."

"Maybe he asked someone who's the most hard working employee?" Yu Bin replied as he drank a glass of cold water.

"Eh, who would recommend me? The grumpy manager? He was even furious when I hit the CEO with the door!" Xiao Zhan exclaimed at the same time sighed.

"Wait, maybe the CEO wants you to suffer? Since you know, you hit him with the door?"

Upon hearing those words, Xiao Zhan's hands started to sweat. "Shit, you're right. But he seems like a good guy?"