Chapter Four

"You people should cook yam this afternoon. I will bring something from the shop when i am coming back home" Mama Rebecca said as they reached the junction that would lead her to Madame Bose's restaurant.

"Yes mama" Rebecca tightened her hold on the envelope that contained her JAMB slip and the novel candidates were expected to read.

"Go straight home o" Martha pulled her ear." Don't branch anywhere o. Go home and start reading your book."

"Maamaa" Rebecca laughed. "Mama i know. I will make sure i pass this JAMB so don't worry. Bye"

"Ehen wait" Martha called back Rebecca who had started to walk. "What is the name of that work you want to go and read in the University again?"

"Mama it's Mass communication"

"Ehn ehn.. there's another name. They said you can be a what sef..?"

"A journalist ma."

"Ehen" Martha clapped her hands. "You sef you can be working in radio station and all this AIT abi?"

"Amen ma."

"Oya be going home o. Bye"

She stood and watched her daughter walk until she could no longer see her. Martha shook her head and sighed.

Her heart felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off it. Her daughters going to school was a promise she made to herself and she would keep it at any cost because if not for anything, she didn't want them to end up like she did.

With that thought, Mama Rebecca hastened her steps to the shop. Madame disapproved of lateness more than anything.

********************************

"Ama my love. What is wrong with you?" He pulled her into his arms gently and smiled when she didn't resist.

"Emeka just leave me abeg. I am not happy at all"

Emeka turned her to look at him. He put a hand under her chin and raised her face so she was looking into his eyes. A smile teased his lips when she looked away only after a few seconds.

"Amaka i am ready to do anything for you." He wrapped his hands around her waist. "I love you very much so just tell me what is the matter and i will handle it for you"

As he spoke, his hands lifted the hem of her skirt and pushed themselves inside.

"Emeka stop it" Amaka pushed him, feeling her buttocks that had just been squeezed. "I am trying to tell you that i have a problem and you are here thinking of other things. Do you even love me at all?"

"But you have refused to say anything naw. See now that i touched you small, you're going to talk." Emeke held her hands and squeezed them lightly. "Just tell me the problem so i can help you solve it."

"You can't solve this one Emeka."Amaka sobbed. "Nobody can help me now. My sister is going to school but i have to stay at home."

"Ayyy" Emeke hugged her and rubbed her back. "Stop crying ehn.. it's okay."

"You're the only one that understands me" She sniffed. "Mama has not even said anything to me. She just told my sister to fill the form and they left the house together."

"It's going to be okay you hear me?" Amaka nodded and smiled at him.

She and Emeka met on the streets and his father was the man who gave free borehole water to the people. One time when she went to fetch water and was refused, he opened the gates for her himself and even helped her carry the water halfway home.

He would have taken it home but she refused because she didn't want Rebecca or mama to see him.

"I should be going home now" she rubbed his fair cheek gently. "I don't want my sister to come and see that i am not at home. She will start asking all sorts of questions."

"So when will i see you again again?"

"Very soon. Bye, let me be going."

"Amaka wait" He held her hand. "Won't you do anything to show me you liked the gift i gave you last time?"

"I said thank you na" Amaka bowed her head shyly. She understood what Emeka meant but they were in broad daylight and anyone could see them.

"Which thank you" He scoffed. "Me I don't want any thank you that you'll use your mouth and say. I want you to show me you liked it."

"Stop it" She used her hand to stop his advancing lips. "Emeka this is afternoon abeg."

"So what?" He removed her hands and grazed her neck with his nose. "So what if it is afternoon Ama? My love for you doesn't care about anything."

"Emekaaa" Amaka purred and shivered as his hot breath fanned her skin, his nose edging lower to her bosom. "Emeka please. If anybody sees me i will be in trouble."

"Okay promise me something." He poked her breast with a finger and was satisfied to see it sink in. "Promise you will make time for me later in the night. I have a gift for you"

"Really?"

He nooded and forced himself to look at her.

"I will try and come but it will be difficult because mama is the one that locks the door"

"Don't just try but come. Oya be going." He lifted each breast with one hand and kissed them.

Amaka burned with shyness so much that she could not raise her face to look at him after he had released her. She muttered a bye and walked away as fast as she could.

Her body was used to Emeka's touches already and even though she often tried to put up a resistance, she would find herself remembering the feel of his fingers.

She hummed all the way home, feeling a rise in her depressed mood.

Amaka skidded to a sharp halt when she saw Rebecca pacing in front of the house. Forcing herself to calm down, she pulled a smile and moved to sit on the varenda.

"Let me see your slip. Which course did you apply for?" Rebecca moved away from Amaka's outstretched hand and dropped the envelope by the side.

"Amaka who was that boy touching you earlier?"