Chapter Six

I've been trying to publish this since yesterday, 10th April. It keeps saying there's a problem connecting to wattpad. Try later
Sighs.
I hope everyone's been okay and safe

Martha could feel his eyes on her as she laid his food on the table and it made her very uncomfortable.

It was as if he was staring her naked, as if his eyes could see through her clothes. Even worse, the tingling her body was feeling in response was making her hands tremble.

She couldn't wait to finish and return to the kitchen.

"Sit down mana" Alhaji stretched his arm to stop Martha from leaving. "Ki zauna kadan. Just sit a bit so we can talk"

Mama Rebecca didn't know what to do. Alhaji was one of Madame's most important customers and she usually served him herself.

"Sorry sir. I have to go back to my work"

Even more, cooks weren't allowed to leave the kitchen but here she was playing the part of a waitress to Alhaji while Madame sat outside.

"Don't worry about Madame." As if he read her mind, Alhaji smiled and exposed his kolanut stained teeth. "I have spoken to her ai. I just want to ask you a few questions"

Mama Rebecca lowered herself on the chair opposite him slowly.

"Yauwa" Alhaji grinned and started to dig into his plate of rice.

"Madame says you have two daughters ko?" He took a sip of water. "I have seven daughters ni kuma." Without waiting for an answer from her, he continued.

"Six of my daughters are married. The last one will be getting married next month after her 20th birthday next week"

Martha's face scrunched up. Why was he telling her about his family issues?

"Enough about me" he waved the chicken lap he had taken a bite out of and chewed slowly. "Tell me about you Mama Rebecca."

"Sir I'm sorry" deciding she'd had enough, Martha stood up. "I really need to get back to work and Madame will be angry if i don't finish on time."

Whatever he and Madame were playing at, she was not interested in being a part of it.

Alhaji felt all the blood in his body rush down to his groin. The small Alhaji had stretched so hard that it was hurting him when Mama Rebecca stood up and her breasts performed a small show of bouncing.

Alhaji needed this woman and he needed her fast but he would have to be patient and take his time to conquer her.

The fierce resistance he had seen in her eyes made his blood boil in excitement. It had been too long since a woman made him feel this way.

"Madame mentioned that you are sending your daughters to school and you needed help"

Martha's hand paused on the door knob and she turned to face the man.

"Dama I just wanted to confirm ne and extend some help but" he shrugged and wiped his hands on the towel slowly. "Since you are not interested shikenan ai."

"I didn't know you wanted to help sir" Martha felt ashamed of herself and the direction her thoughts had travelled to. She had assumed this was one of Madame's moment of setting a woman up for her VIPs.

"I'm very very sorry sir." She repeated, her heart hammering against her ribs while she prayed to God that the kind man wouldn't change his mind.

Where she would get the money for registration if Rebecca passed JAMB had been bothering her since morning.

"Ah bakomai" Alhaji ran his tongue over his lower lip and chuckled lightly.

He would give some money to Madame for telling him such an important piece of information later.

"It's nothing Madame. Ai dama we often get misunderstood but don't worry i still want to help."

"Please just call me Martha. That's my name."

"It is a very beautiful name for a very beautiful woman." Alhaji laughed at her stunned reaction, mirth dancing in his eyes as she touched her face lightly as if she didn't believe that anyone could call her beautiful.

It wouldn't be as hard as he thought it would. Nothing was more easier to break through than a woman starved of attention.

"Yauwa Martha" He pushed the plates to the side and leaned closer. "So tell me about yourself mana"

******************************

"Papa welcome Sir." Rebecca dropped the book she was reading and stood up.

"Ehen. Where is your mother?" One look around the house and he knew his wife hadn't returned. If not for anything, she would have been singing worship songs that told the devil, him, he was a liar.

"She has not returned yet" Rebecca could hardly hide her surprise. She could not remember the last time her father returned home early and sober.

Usually, it was mama who changed him out of his clothes and wiped his body whenever he stumbled back drunk in the dead of the night.

"Your sister nko?" John came out of the house and stood arms akimbo on the varenda. "Rebecca where has Amaka gone to this evening?"

"She....she went to escort her friend just now. I thought you even saw her outside sef."

"Ehnn... okay." He turned to enter the house but stopped when his eyes caught the textbook Rebecca was reading. "What is this? So you and your mother are serious that you are going to school?"

John laughed and clapped his hands. "Hah Martha. So who will now pay for your registration and school fees abi that one too is N5,000?"

Tears pooled in her eyes and even though what he said was the truth that had been bugging her, Rebecca had never felt hatred for her father as she did at this minute.

"Oh. Is it because of what i said that you are crying? Before what were you thinking? That money will fall from heaven?"

"It is none of your business where the money will come from." Martha who just entered fired back. "I have told you to remove your mouth John. I have told you to remove your mouth from anything that concerns my children"

He shrugged and sat on the stool whistling a tune.

"And you" She dragged Amaka who was trembling behind her. "Come and explain to me what you and that useless boy were doing behind that uncompleted building."