Chapter Nine

Hello guys, I hope you have all been fine. So a part of this book has started going through professional editing and after the first time, I just lost faith in my writing skills cos it felt like I was writing rubbish lol. But I'm done moping and I will see this book to the end in sha Allah.  Stay safe, I love you all❤

Martha spotted Alhaji's car parked beside the restaurant and she paused for a while.

"Ah Mariya you have come" Alhaji waved from the side spot Madame had set up a few weeks earlier for her VIP customers who wanted to eat and receive fresh air. Martha saw him and walked over quickly.

She needed to thank him more for his help the previous night.

"Ina kwana Alhaji" A real smile graced her lips, lightening her depressed heart with which she'd left home with.

"I should be speaking hausa to her more often" Alhaji beamed at Madame Bose who laughed in compliance. "Look it hasn't been long and she can say good morning already." He turned back to Martha, his gaze softening. "This means that in no time, you'll be able to hold conversations kenan."

Martha smiled and blushed. The older man's gentle gaze was making her face hot.

As it was morning, the streets of Bwari were wide awake and bustling. Hawkers passed by, calling customers to buy their Okpa or Akamu.

The tantalizing scent of Marka's Masa coming from Madame's kitchen made Martha's stomach grumble and the blush on her face deepened.

She left the house early without even waking her daughters and had been too upset to fix a meal because that would mean their waking up and she wasn't sure she was ready for another argument with John or talking to Amaka just yet.

"Madame dan Allah bring two plates of Masa and pepper soup for us." Alhaji pulled a chair next to him and patted it. "Sit down here Mariya"

"Okay Alhaji." As if on cue, Madame got up too and hurried to the restaurant, her purse heavy with Alhaji's early morning gift.

They had been discussing Martha before she came and Madame was surprised about why Alhaji was still taking his good time with Martha when the other women she'd arranged for him he had grown tired of them within days.

"Alhaji there's no need for the food." Martha raised her head and lowered it again almost immediately with a bashful smile.

She was startled to find that she was finding it hard to look at the man in the face again.

The way he looked at her made heat pool way below her belly and it had been a long time since she felt that way.  She could still feel the touch of his warm hands on her waist where he had carried her away from Amaka last night.

The more her thoughts wandered, the more her face felt hotter.

Alhaji watched the petite woman playing with her fingers and grinned. He could sense that he was beginning to have an effect on her and his grin deepened to a wide smile.

Martha evoked the feelings of youthfulness in him. She reminded him of years back when he started courting his first girl.

Always second guessing his actions and being so cautious so he would not scare her off. If Alhaji did know better, he would suspect his BP shot up whenever he was around her because of how his heartbeat increased.

"Enjoy your meal" A waiter served without looking at the two.

Madame had pulled him over to warn repeatedly that he made no mistake when serving. Everyone knew who Alhaji was to her.

"Mariya sit down and eat mana."

"No thank you Alhaji. I am not hungry"

Her stomach growled in protest and Martha wished the earth would swallow her as Alhaji chortled to his heart's content.

"Sit down let's eat so we can talk about your daughters." He pulled a serious expression. "The one that's going to school soon and the one we saw yesterday."

This time, Martha didn't decline and sat down. As she dived in, the taste of miyan taushe and well cooked vegetable made her close her eyes in satisfaction.

She had always loved the Northern delicacy and that made her a very good friend of Marka who was sure to keep a special serving for her whenever she was done cooking it.

Alhaji watched as she ate and felt a rush of blood down his waist as she licked the side of her mouth.

He closed his eyes, the images of what she could be doing to him with her tongue made him cross his legs.

"Is everything okay?" Concern masked her face as she asked.

The innocence in her eyes made Alhaji's blood boil.

"I'm fine" He grunted. "Let's finish eating so we can talk."

"Are you sure you're fine?"

"Yes Mariya." He beamed, pleased at her care. "I am fine thank you"

*********************************

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

"Say what?" Rebecca didn't look away from the government textbook she was reading. "I have nothing to say to you."

"I'm sorry for yesterday" Amaka spoke softly, raising her knees up and wrapping her arms around them, she laid her head on them.

"I am not be the one you should be apologising to." Rebecca flipped another page.

"Mama is extremely angry with me now. She won't listen to anything I have to say. Help me beg her"

"So you know Mama is angry? If you knew she was going to be angry then why did you hang out with that boy?" She snapped the book shut "Amaka I warned you."

"You slapped me!" Amaka shot

"You're lucky I didn't break your mouth! If I'd broken your mouth then I would seen which mouth you will carry to go and kiss that stupid boy"

"Don't insult him!"

Rebecca gaped. "I can see you are not as sorry as you said you were. Anyways, you've already decided to be an ungrateful idiot so nothing I say will make you realise what you've done."

"I know I was wrong. I've already apologised so why are you still angry?" Amaka wiped her eyes. "It's not like I killed somebody. All I did was love"

"Love" Rebecca laughed and packing her books, she stood up. "By the way, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I wish you a happy married life"

With that, she left Amaka stunned and left the house in a fit of rage.