12:01am Eden

"Shit!" The exclamation is almost deafening. Okay maybe not, but it's loud as hell. As a collective everyone's heads snap in the direction of the noise. standing not too far from us, maybe halfway between the pantry and where we're sitting, stands Katie. The first thing I notice is the guilty look on her face. Second, her outstretched hands, as if she's holding an invisible object, or as if she was just holding an object... Third, the large plastic bottle lying on its side, black liquid oozing onto the dark wood floor. 

"What the fuck Katie! You fucking spaz!" Laughter breaks out throughout the room, people already pulling out phones to capture the expression of pure rage on Micheal's face. He jumps up from his position on one of the cream couches and lunges towards the kitchen. "Don't you dare let it touch the fucking carpet of my mum will be having my liver for dinner!" 

"With some fava beans." I can't help but comment under my breath. Maybe not as under my breath as I thought as a muffled laugh echoes from beside me. Alice's hand flies to her face to cover her mouth as she giggles. 

"What's funny?" The girl on my other side asks.

"Nothing," I mutter through a smile. This might be the first time I've made Alice laugh. My heart gives somewhat of a jump. I decide that I like seeing her laugh at my jokes. The way small creases form around her eyes tells me exactly how genuine the laugh is. But I'm quickly cut from my admiration of the flustered girl by a boisterous yell of:

"No fucking way! What are the chances!" The voice in question belongs to one of the boys who's eyes are trained on the centre of the circle. On the bottle.