A Date with Ice Cream

Author's Note:

This was written just for fun to keep Meggyhashope entertained while she is off and away doing way more important things. It was intended for her eyes only, but she asked me to post it here as part of Perspectives so I tweaked it a little bit to fit in with the series. Special shout out to the ever supportive Dr-Cokebottles and rainingmeteors for also encouraging me to post.

Please forgive my random ramblings, and as always, remember to keep the faith! 💜💛

J.

***

"Show me your bike again, Cheng Jiashu!"

Dylan rolled his eyes at her teasing tone but a proud smile tugged at his lips as he maneuvered his phone until the video chat box showcased the gleaming motorcycle in front of him.

"I want to see you ride it!"

"Don't be silly, the crew will kill me if I take it out for a joy ride again," he chided as he moved the phone back towards him. It was getting hotter and he could feel a bead of sweat slowly make its way down the side of his face. He stepped under the shade of a nearby oak tree and took a satisfying bite out of his ice cream bar.

Yue pouted a little. "You get to have all the fun, riding around in that warm weather and eating ice cream. It's cold and rainy where I am."

"Can you try to look a bit more depressing then? That smile is so bright it's scaring off all the rain clouds," he teased, grinning as she took his suggestion to heart. She looked down and concentrated for a moment before skewering him with the most tragic, heartbreaking expression she could muster on such short notice.

Damn, she was a hell of an actress.

Not to mention the cutest girl in the world.

"Does your heart hurt for me now?" she asked playfully, her head tilting to the side as she waited for his sympathetic answer.

"Not really."

"You're heartless, Wang He Di."

The doorbell rang behind her and she asked him to wait before hurriedly running to answer the door. A few seconds later, he heard a faint "thank you" and more hurried scuffling before she appeared again.

"Who was that?" he asked innocently.

"Delivery guy," she said curiously, holding an insulated bag up to the phone. "Do you know anything about this, Di?"

He shrugged nonchalantly as he continued eating his ice cream. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously at him before opening the bag. The minute she saw what was inside, she began laughing happily as she pulled out bar after bar of different types of ice cream flavors.

He didn't care for any of those, though. He waited patiently as she slowly emptied the bag, oohing and aahing over the variety; finally, her laughter faded and he knew she had gotten to the only one that mattered because her eyes lit up with recognition and reluctant amusement as she pulled out the small carton of mint chocolate chip buried at the very bottom.

Hugging it to her chest, she sighed softly and locked eyes with him again. They stared wordlessly at each other, the physical distance between them great, but their minds and hearts were lost together in one sweet, secret memory.

***

"Want one?"

She stared at his outreached hand holding a single waffle cone filled with bright pink strawberry ice cream. It was ridiculously tempting. Her mouth fairly watered and she could almost taste the soft, sweet texture on her tongue... but she was filming soon and needed to watch her figure.