I Don't Mean to Trust You

"Carol, this is Jesse and Ana. They're ok, don't worry." The woman, Carol, looked uncertainly at me. Daryl swung his arm around her, leading her back into the cabin.

Everyone filed in, but Jesse lagged behind. I was wary too, but Rick motioned inside, "Come on. Ain't any reason for you to hang outside. They're nice people,trust me."

And I did. After a few short hours, I trusted this man. I was screwed.

"Come on baby, it's cold." I finally spoke. Jesse nodded, and Rick thrust a hand out. Jesse took it while still holding onto mine.

"Ana, Jesse, this is Maggie, Glenn, and Sasha. That's Tyrese, Tara, Rosita, and Ford." I nodded, trying very hard to a least semi smile. Most of them smiled, but there was something in their eyes. Distrust.

Of course.

"Eugene went to sleep." Ford said roughly, still eyeing me and Jesse. He was cleaning a rifle, hoisting it up to wipe down. I anxiously clutched Jesse, suddenly wanting to walk out this cabin and go back to looking for a one night shelter.

The girl named Maggie stepped forward, "Are you hungry?"

"Yes miss." Jesse spoke shyly before I could open my mouth. Maggie smiled at him.

"Well we've got quite some food left over kiddo. You like tomato soup?" Jesse nodded eagerly. Maggie smiled at me, and Rick nodded at her.

"Come on, the kitchen's this way."

The other girl, Tara, followed behind us.

"Here ya go Jesse." Maggie handed him a small tin filled with soup. He looked at me.

"Here mama."

I shook my head, "No honey, that's for you."

"I'll give your mama some, don't worry." Jesse looked at me again, and I nodded. His little hands eagerly bought the tin to his mouth, a loud slurp coming from him every once in a while. He eagerly ate, it was obvious he hadn't eaten well in a while. It broke my heart a little, watching him eat so hungrily, knowing fully well that that hunger in him had risen from me not being able to provide enough for him.

"Ana, here." Maggie handed me a tin of soup as well, along with some stale crackers. I split them with Jesse, nibbling on one while I slurped down the watery soup.

"Where are you from?" Tara asked, taking a drink from a canteen.

"San Diego." I told her.

She nodded, "Beachy. Where were you heading?"

I shrugged, but Jesse butt in, "We're gonna meet my dad."

Maggie and Tara both looked at me.

"Hey, oh good, you're eating." Rick walked in, holding a girl in his arms. "This is Judith." The toddler had short sandy colored hair, pale skin, and doe shaped brown eyes. She had two fingers in her mouth, looking curiously at everyone.

"She's beautiful." I smiled as she stuck her hand out of her mouth. Her mouth twisted, and some gibberish spilled out her mouth. Then she reached out to me, her little hand opening and closing.

Rick stepped away, "I'll be right back, I'm gonna hand her over to Carl."

Jesse looked at me, "Mommy, can I go with Carl?"

"Are you done eating?"He showed me his empty tin, and I nodded, watching him hop off his seat and run behind Rick.

"Be careful." I called out, turning back to my soup but no longer having the appetite to eat.