Take It Easy

"I can't go with you...because...because.." I wracked my brain, trying to conjure up an excuse. My brain was failing me.

"Because what? Because Rick huh?" Maggie whispered in the dark, her face obscured by the shadows.

Jesse was nestled into me, and he smelled like sweat and little boy. Sleep was still fogging my mind, and I couldn't think of what to say. "Maggie, I'm sorry"-

"I'm sorry too Ana. I know putting you on the spot like this is pressuring. But I just thought you might want to"-

"I can talk to Rick."

"Rick is being a stubborn ass. No offense." Maggie was squatting down to be level with me. She rocked back and forth, looking around our dark surroundings.

"Maggie, you can't just run off like this. We need you, and you need more people."

"I hate you telling me this."

"Because you know it's true." I pointed out.

She rolled her eyes, I could see that in the dark. "I really don't want to leave y'all behind. But if Rick doesn't give me any other choice"-

"He has to. I mean, we are here now. We went through quite a lot to get here. Rick, he doesn't know how to word things sometimes. I've figured that out. I know he's solely focused on getting Beth back, you know that."

"He bad-mouths you and you still find a way to defend him. I'm sorry, he didn't bad mouth you. I'm just so....desperate. What if Beth is close and I just can't realize it?" Maggie put her face in her hands, pushing them back against her face. "Fine, only because you convinced me. I'll talk with Rick again tomorrow, but if I get the feeling he's slacking, I am going Ana. And neither you or nobody else will tell me otherwise."

"Ok." I said solemnly. "Get some sleep, we've got a long day ahead tomorrow."

"Don't I know it." She muttered, turning around and straightening up to normal height.

---------------------------------

"Thank you." Rick said under his breath the next morning while everyone was eating breakfast. I was sitting between him and Jesse; we hadn't spoken much.

"For what?"

"I heard Maggie last night. I know what she wanted to do. You held her back, you really helped us all out Ana."

"Yeah I guess so." I mumbled, feigning interest in Jesse's hair while he ate.

"I'm sorry about what I told you before. About you not being a part of this. You're a part of everything now and again, I'm sorry."

"Apology accepted." I said after a minute. "But you better not belittle me again Rick Grimes. Or I'll join Maggie and we'll walk out on this group."

"Is that so?" Rick couldn't help but smile now. It was pleasant and also infuriating.

"Yes, it is so."

"Do you want me to get on my knees to make you promise to never leave the group?" Rick spoke low over the hum of conversation of the group.

"No, but I need you to give me my place in the group." I spoke seriously. "And listen to Maggie about Beth. She's ready to walk Rick. Even I can't stop her all the time. You need to show her that you are as serious about finding Beth as she is."

"I know." Rick admitted without much prodding. It was quite surprising. "I'll talk to her after breakfast."

--------------------------------

"So where do you think we should go then?" We were standing just outside of the store we'd camped out in. Rick was talking to Maggie, ready to go wherever she wanted.