Chapter 3: Maleficent's Plan

Hey! Thanks for all the great feedback on the last chapter! Here's chapter 3. Like I said before, the Carlos/Jay romance will be much more addressed later, probably around when they reach Auradon. As for how long this story will be, I have no idea. Considering this is chapter three and in the movie, it is only about 11 minutes in, you can expect many more chapters to come!

Carlos turned away from Maleficent to join his own mother. Cruella greeted him with a glare. She didn't say anything but Carlos knew that he must have forgotten to do one of his many chores.

Unlike the other three teens, Carlos didn't steal things for his father or do his mother's dirty work. Every day he was faced with an impossibly long list of chores Cruella needed him to do. Usually, it was something ridiculous like 'organize my fur by the size of spots'. It was a nightmare each and every day but Carlos figured it would be worse if he didn't do as he was told.

Cruella began talking about how her hair wasn't right today and she needed him to fix it or something. She was making some kind of gesture with her hands showing him how she wanted it, but Carlos was barely listening. He just silently took the hairbrush from her hand and waited for her to finish.

"No laughing!" Carlos overheard the Evil Queen scold Evie from their seats at the table, "Wrinkles."

"Well they're not taking my Carlos," Cruella spoke up to everyone, being the first to address Maleficent's mission. "I'd miss him too much."

Carlos perked up at that. He'd never heard his mother say anything that could remotely mean she cared about him. He looked up at his mother.

"Really, Mom?" He asked.

"Yes!" His mother replied with a hand on his shoulder. "Who would touch up my roots? Fluff my fur?" She lifted her leg and plopped it in his arms, "Scrape the bunions off my feet?

There it was. She didn't really care about him. She just needed someone to do what she didn't want to. If Carlos was going to Auradon at least he didn't have to deal with his mother while he was there.

"Yeah well maybe a new school wouldn't be the worst thing," Carlos said dully, dropping his mother's leg.

"Carlos, they have dogs in Auradon, remember?" Cruella reminded him.

Carlos' eyes widened, being reminded of his worst fear. Wherever there were dogs, Carlos was not.

"Oh no, I'm not going," Carlos stated glancing back at Mal and Maleficent.

Maleficent threw her head back in frustration.

"Well Jay isn't going either," Jafar spoke up. "I need him to stock the shelves in my store." That basically sealed the deal, it was going neither there was Carlos.

Carlos watched as he pulled his son to the corner and spoke quietly. He watched as Jay pulled the various things he had stolen that morning out of his pockets, vest, and wherever else he found room to store things. Jafar dropped the various items he had been holding when Jay pulled out a lamp.

He gasped, "A lamp!"

Jafar quickly began rubbing it hoping it would be magic. Carlos was pretty sure everyone in the room's eyes rolled.

"Dad, I- I already tried," Jay told his father quietly.

Jafar's face fell and looked at the lamp with disgust as he tossed it back to his son, having no purpose for it. Carlos knew just from the look on his face that Jay was beating himself up inside. It happened too often for Carlos not to notice. There was nothing Carlos wanted to do more than run across the room, hop the table and embrace Jay. All he could think of was how he wanted to get rid of the look on his face.