4 • H E I S B A C K

“I miss laying in the park. I miss the walks out after dark.”

- Sorry by : [Mali-Koa]

♪♪♪

Chapter 4
HE IS BACK

Time skip : [Present time - 20 years later]

IMPORTANT NOTE
Clark Kent - age (33)
Lara Lewis - age (32)

I heard the sound of a vehicle come to a stop on the dirt road outside Martha's (Mrs Kent) house. We currently stood in her kitchen. She brewed a kettle of freshly made tea while I began to make the dough for the cookies I had decided to bake.

Martha was about to get up from her seat but I stopped her.

"I'll get it." I tell her and clean my hands and then walk towards the door.

I see the familiar figure of Lois Lane, a work colleague of mine walk up to the patio. She gives me a confused look and I return the same look to her.

"Lois?" I asks and her eyes lands on the dishcloth drapped over my shoulder.

"Lara? W...what are you doing here?" She asks me.

"I'm visiting. What are you doing here?" Her visitation was unexpected and sudden.

"I'm looking for Mrs Kent, I need to speak with her please." Lois says in a serious tome. I nod my head and tell her to wait just one minute as I go and call Martha.

"Who's at the door dear?" She asks me and she sips on her tea.

"A colleague of mine, Lois Lane. She says that she needs to speak with you, judging by her tone it sounds like it's something serious." I tell Martha.

It was weird, this entire thing... Lois coming all the way from Metropolis to Kansas. It seemed out if her way, and Lois doesn't even know Martha. Do what did she want?

"I'll be right back." Martha says and leaves and Jessi follows her.

I continue to make the dough and hum the familiar tune of Under Pressure by Queen. Ten minutes later and Martha walks back into the kitchen, she seemed spaced out.

"Are you okay?" I ask her and walking over to her as she retakes her seat.

"Yes, yes." Martha says looking at me and smiles.

"What did Lois want?" I ask her as I walk to the counter and finish up the dough.

"She was looking for Clark. She wanted me to talk about him. She figured it out. He somehow helped her from bleeding out, I don't really know the entire story." Martha says as she continues to sip on her tea.

"So what did you say?" I ask her as I begin to place the dough onto a cookie tray.

"I didn't tell her much, just that he wasn't here and that he was always a good child and about Johnathan. I didn't mention anything whatsoever about Clark's abilities." Martha says.

"Don't you mean power's? Clark's powers?" I ask her.

"Abilities, power, they're the same thing." Martha says.

"No they're not." I assure her.

"And this is why I hate that you majored in English." She says and I laugh.

"Don't forget Astronomy and the human body." I add as I take put another baking tray to put the reminding cookie dough on.

"And you are a journalist, why?" She asks me.

"I'm not sure. It's the first job I got in Metropolis and I actually like it." I say and shrug my shoulders.

It was great to visit Martha once again. I hoped that I would see Clark. I haven't seen him in 8 years. Whenever I came to visit Martha I would just miss him. He tried keeping his identity hidden until the world was ready for him.

But I really do miss him.

Time skip : [1 day/24 hours later]

I gently plucked the strings of my guitar as I played Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's. Surprisingly Martha knew a few lyrics here and there, mostly at the chorus.

Jessi walked over to me for the third time with her playing ball in her mouth. I laughed at her as I took the ball and threw it and she chased after it. I miss those days when Clark and I would sit on the swing, chase the dog and play fetch with the dog.

I put my guitar inside the house and played with Jessi for a half an hour while Martha began gardening.

"The cake should be coming any time now out of the oven." I say as I check the time on my watch and enter the house, Jessi follows in pursuit.

I take the cake out of the oven and place it on the counter top. Now all we had to do was wait for it to cool down and then we would be able to decorate it.

Jessi then takes off quickly running outside the house and begins barking. I take the oven gloves off to make my way to the lawn to see what the commotion is all about.

sss