C is for Candy

The wise rat knew it was Halloween. He heard the cheerful screams of children as they received candy. Smiling fondly, he recalled when he used to trick or treat as a child.

Looking down at his 3-year-old sons, Splinter wondered if they were old enough to understand the dangers of the human world...

However, kids are only little once. They needed to experience this while they were young and Splinter was willing to let them.

When they woke up from their nap, Splinter decided to tell his sons all about Halloween and trick or treating. They were going to be so excited!

"My sons...do any of you know what today is?" He asked patiently, wondering if they had any ideas.

Little Mikey raised his hand shyly. "Is it mutation day daddy?" He asked. Splinter chuckled and shook his head.

"No Michealangelo, that was last month...anyone else have a guess?" Splinter asked, smiling softly.

Donatello raised his hand. "It's... Thursday, right daddy?" He asked, hoping he got it correct.

Splinter nodded, praising him. "Yes, it is Thursday Donatello, but that is not what is special about today."

All the little ones looked at each other and Splinter decided to tell them. He sat them on his lap contently.

"Today is Halloween, it is when children go outside and trick or treat...they get candy." Splinter explained.

"We get to go to the surface?" Leo asked in shock. They were never allowed to go to the surface!

"Only on Halloween my sons, only tonight...because no one will suspect us, they will think we are wearing costumes like everyone else."

The turtle's eyes lit up. "We get to dress up?" Raph asked. Splinter nodded. "Yes, you can."

With that, the tots scrambled to find costumes. After a long time of searching and experimenting, they had their costumes.

Leo dressed as a lion.

Raph dressed as a pirate.

Donnie dressed as a ghost.

Mikey dressed as a puppy.

Splinter put on a kimono and a mask.

Once the clock said it was 5, they crept slowly out of the sewers through a manhole, since no one was out yet.

There were decorations everywhere as well as lights and lots of children starting to run and play.

"Ooo!" Mikey squeaked excitedly, starting to walk towards the bright lights. Splinter grabbed him gently.

He decided it would be a good time to discuss the rules with his young tots. He knelt in front of them, talking to them firmly but kindly.

"My sons, even though you are wearing costumes, I want all of you to stay close to me, do not run off." He spoke sternly, but softly.

All the tots nodded. "Yes daddy." They said, taking hold of the Halloween bags Splinter gave them for Candy.

"Daddy, what we do?" Raph said as he looked cautiously at his bag. "How we twick or tweet?" He asked.

Splinter smiled. "You knock on the door, and when someone answers you say 'trick or treat' and you will get candy, say thank you afterwards."

Raph nodded and they all walked to the first house. It had glowing pumpkins all around it and bright orange and red lights.

The little ones were a little nervous at first, but Splinter coaxed then enough to get the candy. They walked up to the door and knocked.

A woman wearing a princess dress answered and smiled. "What cute little ones, first Halloween?" She said, turning to Splinter with a grin.