K is for Kindness

The four 3-year-old turtle tots sat on the rug in the dojo, looking up at their daddy with curiosity in their eyes.

The wise rat sat down in front of them cross-legged. "We are going to learn something new today." He said.

Little Donnie squealed in excitement. He loved learning new things. "Oo, what are we leawnin' today, daddy?"

Splinter smiled at his son's eagerness. "I am glad you asked, little one...today you boys will be learning about kindness."

Little Mikey sat up. "Was' kindness, daddy?" He piped up, sucking on one of his chubby little fingers.

Splinter gently removed Mikey's finger from his mouth, murmuring about germs. "Well...."

Splinter trailed off, trying to think of a way to explain it. "It means being nice, my son." He finally said.

Mikey and the other tots nodded. "I'm kind, wite daddy?" Leo asked, smiling widely. Splinter smiled and nodded.

"Yes Leonardo, you all are kind, sweet boys." Splinter praised, patting Leo on the head.

"Ow!" Little Donnie yelped. "Daddy, Waphie hit me!" He sniffled, rubbing his leg as tears trickled down."

"Most of the time..." Splinter added with a sigh. He cuddled Donnie close to him. "Rapheal, why did you hit you're brother?"

Little Raph pouted. "His foot was in my face!" He said, crossing his little arms. Splinter looked at him sternly.

"That was not a kind thing to do, Rapheal...you shook have politely asked your brother to move."

Raph begrudgingly apologized to Donnie who had calmed down. Once that was over, Splinter continued.

"Can you boys tell me some things that are kind kind to do?" He asked his little sons. They sat in silence, thinking.

"Hug?" Leo asked.

"Kiss!" Raph added.

"Smile?" Donnie guessed.

"Say 'I love you?'" Mikey added.

Splinter smiled, nodding. "Yes my sons, those are very kind things...can you tell me things that aren't kind?"

"Hitting!" Raph muttered.

"Pushing." Mikey said.

"Saying mean things." Leo added.

"Taking toys away from bwothers."

Splinter nodded, praising them. "Yes, those are things that are not kind, and today we will practice only doing kind things, ok?"

They all nodded. "Ok daddy." They all said obediently. Splinter patted their heads. "Good boys." He smiled.

Throughout the day, Splinter watched them closely, making sure that they were being kind to each other.

It didn't take long before they forgot their little promise.

Leo and Mikey were in a tug-of-war over a teddy bear. They both wanted to play with it at the same time.

Mikey pulled it first. "It's my teddy!" He whined, putting on a pouty face. "Gummies my teddy, Weo!"

"No, I wan' it!" Leo said back. "Stupid baby!" He yelled, not realizing how much his words hurt his little brother.

Leo then pulled the teddy away from his little brother, making the tot fall to the ground face first.

"Daddyyyy, Weo's not bein' kind!" Mikey wailed, sitting on the floor sobbing. Leo looked guilty.

Splinter walked in. "I can see that... Leonardo, Michealangelo is right, you were not being kind to him."