Elise

Elise

            It’s about sunrise when I wake up. I still feel like sleeping, but I know I have to get on with the game. These Hunger Games, they’re a 24-hours-7-days-a-week thing. I’ve seen some people get killed two o’clock in the morning.

            I examine my backpack and bag again, to make sure there isn’t a secret compartment holding other items. My backpack holds a first aid kit, nuts, berries, a bottle, a small blanket, a pouch, and a rope. My bag holds a sleeping bag alone.

            I organize my backpack. I put my nuts and berries in the pouch. I fold my blanket and sleeping bag and stuff everything into the backpack. My bag is now empty, but I think it might be useful in the future, so I save it. I fold and put it inside the backpack for later use.

            I search for a source of water. I come across a tall pine tree, and I see some ropes in the branches. That’s odd. I head towards the tree to examine it. As I get closer, I realize there’s a hammock in the branches, and someone’s sleeping in it. When I climb up the tree to get a closer look, I realize it is Tymerius. I try to think of a way to kill him, possibly with my rope, when his eyes open. He’s trying to escape, but he suddenly stops and calms down.

            “Elise?” he asks, squinting against the sunlight. “Is that you?”

            He sees the rope in my hands, and his eyes widen in fear.

            “You’re not going to… Oh well, I accept my fate… I mean these Games are…” he trails off.

            I take his hand, and say “I’m not going to. Want to be…allies?”

            His brown eyes shine in the sunlight. “Yeah, I will,” he sighs with a look of relief.

             Then I help him pack up his hammock, and we head toward a muddy bank.