mirage

TERRY:

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling blanched, I hadn't had anything to drink from before I came to Sam's house. As I started towards the kitchen to get a glass of water, I suddenly felt a burning sensation in my chest, like my heart had set a ring of fire around itself. As if to protect it from an unknown source of danger. Increasing my senses to be ready incase anything sneaked up on me, to activate flight mode. Or maybe it was lighting this kindle in me to ignite the flames of courage, to possibly do the opposite , and fight.

Nevertheless, I ignored it and decided  it was probably a side effect to the dehydration stage i was currently into.

Although the feeling was quite familiar... I just didn't know why.

As I filled the glass from the creaking tap, my mind raced back to the events that happened 11 years ago. Faces of a mother and father that where so close, yet blurred, as if  I were looking to them from beneath the surface of the lake of memories that i had drowned in.

The noise of the water overflowing atop of the rim of the glass brought me back to reality. I quickly turned of the tap and stood staring straight ahead. The noise if the dripping water as it collided with the base of the sink became in tune with another sound. Almost like an eco of itself. But it was deeper , more like a thud. And it was coming from upstairs.

I again ignored the feeling that was creeping up on me, sending electric waves to shiver up my spine each time the sound reacurred. 

It was probably just Sam going to the bathroom or something. Right? RIGHT?!!.

Goosebumps had started to form at the back of neck and arms. The hotness I felt in my chest was clashing with how cold the rest of my body suddenly felt. 

It didn't feel right, and I was going to fine out why.

...

I knew it was rude to interrupt Sam in her sleep considering that this is her home, plus she was nice enough to let me stay here. If it was anyone else or if I was in any other situation, I wouldn't have given a damn if I was interrupting a freaking cult meeting. But still, I couldn't ignore the feeling that something bad was going to happen, not anymore.

I placed the water down on the counter, and slowly made my way to the stairs. As I reached the bottom step, i hesitated. "This is none of my business" I thought to my self but stood there for a second listening to the silence. I closed my eyes took in a deep breath and shook my head as if to get my earlier worries and suspicions out of it.

Just as I was about to turn around, an unearthly scream filled the the confinement of the small household.

I covered my ears and crumbled to the floor. I could barely get up or even move. But I had to! I had to, I had to get to Sam.

She was always there for me and I needed to save her from whatever it was making that sound.

Using my elbows I began Crawling up the stair, my hands still placed tightly over my ears to protect them from the scream that had yet to seize up.

I started towards the top floor landing . The sound still hadn't stopped, and I thought that if it didn't soon, my ears would surely start to bleed.

Then as suddenly as it had started, it stopped. Just like that. No echo. No nothing. As if I had just imagined it all.

I struggled to get up off of my knees, to an  almost standing position, but when I did I sprinted up the rest of the stairs, just to come to a complete halt at the very top.

There were so many rooms..

Why did Sam tell me there were no spare rooms when clearly there was at least 4 or 5.

6 doors in total surrounded me, and I began to wonder how small they must be to fit the minimal space of the landing.

All were closed, except the one to my left that was cleaved slightly from the door frame.

I neared it, carefully eyeing the others incase the thing making the noise came out of one of them. But it didn't. So I kept walking in the direction of the only open door.

It seemed as though it was getting further and further , the closer I thought I was getting. So I stopped. And just like that, the door stopped moving too. But only for a blink of an eye. because it slammed shut and as weird as it was that it seemed like it was running away from me, it started to approach me. FULL SPEED!

I held my arms up protectively infront of me, and waited for the collision to send me flying out of the house.

Stupid, I know. But so is the thought of a door attacking you.

I tried to get out of the way but I couldn't move. It was like my feet were magically  glued to the floor .

But the hit didn't come, and if it did I didn't feel it.

I opened one eye to see how far I had been thrown. But found my self in the same place. The door directly infront of me. A throbbing blue light seeping from its edges. I closed my eyes and prepared my self to face what was behind it.

After a few moment of nothing. I decided that I'd have to make the first move. Reaching for the door nob, an insiders confliction was going on inside my head. part of it telling me to stop being a coward and just push it open and the other, more sensible abiding,  part telling me to turn around , run out of the house , and never look back.

But that abiding sensible part was what stopped me from going after my parents that night, it stopped me from using my own common sence and looking for them after they were gone the first couple of hours. Maybe if I did, maybe if I didn't listen to a word my parents said, maybe if I kicked and screamed and begged, no, demanded, they take me with them I wouldn't be where I am now . Stuck in a memory . Looking back and hoping to see  something that wasn't and will never be there. Hower strong the fear of what will happen when I open this door, The regret I will feel if I don't, if anything happens to Sam because I cowered out, will be a million times stronger and will eat me up besides my other regret.

So numb out the tingling flushy feeling that come with the fear and grab a hold of the knob.

BAM!

The door flew back into it's original place, and was wide open.

It must have been Sam's room because from where I was standing, I could see her sleeping on the bed. But that's not what got my attention and emidiantly made my head dizzy, putting my defense system on over drive.

It was the shadowy hooded figure leaning on top of her, its hand reaching for her.

"NOOOO!" I  screamed an was about to put on a fight when the being turned to me, the deafening screech once again almost bursting my ear drums came from what appeared to be its mouth. It just lacked any qualities of a mouth. No teeth. No tongue.  Not even lips. Just a black void that was wide open.

It held its hand in my direction and instantaneously I was pushed back , out of the room and away from my caretaker. The door closed and locked after me. The whole house flashed infront of me as I dived backwards.

Until my body collided with the sofa.

************************************

Hope you liked chapter 3 .