Chapter VI: For Oppressed Ants Everywhere!

The sun had begun to set as the hours passed throughout the day. Word had spread about the incidents from earlier throughout the whole kingdom. There were quite a few reactions from it, most angry and annoyed by the man who'd caused all of it. But there were very few that were actually quite glad that it happened. Had it not, then he wouldn't be leaving on his quest. And everyone knew that without his klutzy presence, work would get done much quicker.

Everyone was once again preparing food to start the new offering. Bakers began making bread and various foods while harvesters continued to pick the food that was supposed to be collected for themselves by now. Meanwhile, Flik had spent his afternoon packing for his journey. He mainly picked the essentials, in case it would be a long trip, such as a few clothes from his small wardrobe and plenty of food and water.

The sun was just barely above the west horizon as Flik stepped out from his small home and out onto the soiled path. He didn't take notice to all the eyes on him as he strolled down the path of his village. He held his bag over his shoulder, smiling enthusiastically as he hummed a little tune to himself. He couldn't remember what it was called or where he heard it, but it had been stuck in his head since he was a child.

Once reaching the end of the village, he turned back around for a moment, as a brief silent goodbye to his home. That was when he saw everyone standing still, staring at him with rather blank expressions. Even a few of the neighborhood children had stopped playing to look at him.

Flik had assumed they were watching him leave as a way of saying goodbye. He raised his hands and spoke proudly, "Do not fret, for the kingdom is in good hands!" He then turned away to walk down the stoned steps that would lead him to sand and ocean. He stopped midway upon hearing a few cheers and shouts of excitement, but he smiled at the sounds, assuming it was to cheer him on.

As he continued down the stairs, he glanced to the side to see two young boys playing around on the sand. Normally, children weren't allowed to be on the shore of the island, but they must've snook past their parents somehow to do so. Flik didn't mind and just greeted the two, "Good evening, fellows. What brings you two over here?"

"We heard you were leaving to find us help!" One boy answered as he and his friend stood up, immediately following the older man. Flik recognized them, Grub and Stone, two boys he'd seen around the village a few times. They were quite the troublemakers, from what he'd seen. "My father said that you will not last an hour out there on your own!"

"Did he?" Flik asked nonchalantly.

"My father doesn't think that." Stone chimed in, "He presumes you shall be dead before you ever return!"

"..oh." The worker said, his smile fading briefly.

"Yes, he says that if heatstroke doesn't kill you, the avems surely will." Stone teased.

"Well, I believe he's going to make it!" A feminine voice spoke. They all turned to see it was none other than Princess Dot, who'd been following them almost the whole way and only now caught up to their pace.

Grub scoffed, "Nobody asked you, your royal shortness!"

"Yes, what would you know?" Stone rolled his eyes. Surprisingly, their rude behavior didn't phase the young princess much, as she was used to their teasing by now.

Flik turned to the boys, "Hey now, there is no need for that. She is as entitled to her opinions as you are."

"But she's short!" Grub argued, making her roll her eyes.

"And odd." Stone chimed in.

"Does that matter?" Flik asked rhetorically as he walked over to a small wooden boat that was safely secured on the shore. "She isn't lesser than you. She is a princess, in fact. So you shall treat her with respect."

Dot looked at the two smugly, "Yes, you shall."

The two ignored her and watched as the man untied a rope, now freeing the boat from a rock that was keeping the ocean waves from stealing it. "What is that?" Stone asked confused. He and many other children had not yet learned what boats were, since there wasn't any need due to none of them ever needing one.

"This, my friends, is what you call a boat." Flik said, patting the wood to make sure it was sturdy enough for rough waters. "But it is what I call a small step to our freedom. I built it many years ago, waiting for the day I could use it."

"It's wonderful, Flik." Dot smiled proudly, observing the boat with curious eyes.

"Are you not afraid of drowning?" Grub asked, "Or getting eaten alive by some water creature?"

Flik turned to the boys, "Fear shall not keep me from protecting our land. Now, I would hate to be brief, but I have a journey to embark on."

"Wait!" Dot called to him. He looked at her curiously, expecting some sort of goodbye. But what he hadn't expected was her running over and wrapping her small arms around him. He smiled and happily returned the affection. He wasn't used to being hugged, or touched in general. But he rather enjoyed the comforting contact. Dot looked up at him and grinned, "Good luck."

"Thank you." He nodded as they separated. He then set his bag into the boat, slowly pushing it through the sand and onto the low water. He hopped into it himself before it could get too far, then grabbed an ore to push and guide it through the calm waters of the ocean.

Flik smiled, as he wasn't used to the feeling of sitting on water. He was also pleasantly surprised that his boat, something he created, was functioning properly. He laughed softly and turned his head, seeing the three children standing right by the water as he drifted further away.

"Goodbye, Flik!" Dot called out, waving a frantic hand at him.

Flik briefly waved back and turned to face the waters ahead. His smile faded briefly as he saw a small but quick wave coming his way. He tried avoiding it, but it had scooped underneath the wood and briefly tossed him up from his seat. But thankfully, it didn't unbalance the boat or send him into the water. I sure hope there are not more of those, He thought warily to himself.

The kids did notice, however. Grub turned to Stone and nodded, "Your father is right. He is going to die."

Dot scowled them and shook her head, "Oh you and your fathers shall all see! He will return with the fiercest, toughest, bravest warriors on this earth!"