Chapter X: Flik's Mistake

Word had spread to everyone on the island, and a celebration was quickly thrown together in less than two hours. They wanted to welcome the warriors as soon as they could, and to inform them of what exactly they needed to achieve while staying here. At the quad just outside the castle was where the party took place, with Flik, the warriors, the queen and Princess Atta sitting at a table together watching the village's band play an upbeat song. Everyone was gathering around, but leaving enough space for the 'special presentation' they heard about.

But while everyone else was focused on the music, and the immense relief of having a set of warriors to fight for them, Princess Atta was still fixating on how odd this whole situation was. Something just didn't sit right with her about it. Maybe it was the fact that Flik had found them so quickly, or that these warriors didn't appear to be skilled in the act of battle. Or maybe it was because it was Flik who had found them.

Her gaze remained on the optimistic man, who was patting his hands on the table with the same rhythm as the music. She had to stop herself from rolling her eyes over and over. After years of being the recipient of his wacky shenanigans, his quirky demeanor had grown tiresome to her.

Her mother took notice to her attitude, and while being a bit confused, she decided to give some assurance. After all, Atta wasn't used to all this excited commotion from her people and was likely still in shock by all of this. "Dear, just relax." She told the princess, "Be proud of yourself! Your instincts were correct, you were right to trust this boy."

Atta gave an awkward chuckle in response, not knowing what she was supposed to say to that. She most certainly did not trust Flik, he never gave her any reason to. He was given plenty of chances, yet he screwed up every time. But this could cost her her reputation and the safety of their whole kingdom. If this was another elaborate plan of his, she was not going to let him get away with it.

Once the band concluded their song, everyone applauded them, which signaled them to step away and allow the actual presentation to begin. The queen raised her arms as she spoke loud and clear, "And to make our official welcome complete..Mr. Soil!"

The council member stepped out from the crowd, wearing a velvet hat with a feather attached. "Yes, your majesty!"

"He is our resident thespian." The queen explained to the warriors, "And I believe he has put together a quick show in your honor."

"Yes, with the help of these school children, of course." Mr. Soil said, which signaled for the group of kids to step forward as well—including Princess Dot. They appeared to be holding a large sheet of rolled up paper, which presumably would be apart of the presentation.

"Oh, how adorable!" Gypsy cooed at the children, "They are so cute."

One of the students stood in the front, lowering her head and shuffling her feet against the concrete. She was obviously timid and anxious about being the one to speak, but she wasn't given much of a choice when it came to rehearsal. She cleared her throat before awkwardly beginning, "The South Tunnel Elementary School second grade class would like to present you with this."

The students unrolled the paper as she went on, "A mural we have drawn of you all fighting the clan of grasshoppers."

The group's smiles of delight and amusement all dropped into looks of shock. The mural the children painted was in fact depicting a battle between them and the clan members, only it was extremely detailed and gruesome. "Oh wow, look at all the lovely colors.." Rosie said, in attempts to show some appreciation, "..of the blood."

"We drew one of you dying, our teacher told us it would be more dramatic." Dot said, pointing to the drawing of Heimlich, who was sliced into two pieces.