Ch 10

*****
"Can you please sit still! I don't want to cut more than I should!" I groaned as Angel fidgeted in the chair. I was a few days away from my final exams and my nerves were getting the best of me so instead of manakins I had now taken to using my boyfriends head as practice. Ez's girlfriend had let me cut her hair once two but she was nowhere near as adventures as the boys. "Angel."

"I'm just trying to look at you," he chuckled. "Come here sit on my lap."

"I'm not done though!" I whined sitting down anyway. "What if I'm not cut out for this. What if I've hit off more than I can chew."

"Oh Lia. You are amazing I promise." Angel smiled. "I believe in you okay now you just have to believe in yourself."

"But?"

"No buts. You're going to get that diploma and start your career and then you and I are going to start our lives together," Angel kissed my shoulder a mischievous smile dancing onto his lips. "So what do you say Ophelia wanna get married?"
*****
There's a box in the back of my closet that holds all the things I can't let go of. Inside there's a wedding invitation and a cream coloured wedding gown that was barely worn. I'm now carrying these things to my garbage can as tears ruin my makeup and sweatpants hug my thighs. There's a number of photo booth pictures, movie stubs and other date memorabilia that flutter out as I shake the box until it's empty. These are all the things I don't need anymore. All the things that scream Angel. All the things I pull out when I'm drunk and alone and in need of a comfort that doesn't come.

"Ophelia what the hell are you doing?" My sisters voice shrieks as I pour my glass of wine over top of everything and light a match. "Lia you can't do that!" She runs for my garden hose quickly putting out the growing flames. "What's gotten into you." She grabs the ash covered gown out of the trash a look of horror coating her face.

"Did you make angel leave?" The horror grows and I can tell she's trying to hide the guilt that's consuming her, but she can't. "It's a yes or no question Olivia. Did you or did you not make angel leave on my wedding day?"

"Lia it's not that easy of an answer," she stammers following me to the house.

"So you didn't say things like I could do better? Didn't say I would resent him one day if he went through with the marriage because I deserve more than what he could give?" I snarled. "Say you didn't Liv. Say you wouldn't dare do that to me."

"I didn't." She cried. "I wouldn't dare."

"You're supposed to protect me. You're my big sister."

"That was my protecting your!"

"You taught me how to swim by pushing me in a pool. You taught me how to bike by making me fall off until I was forced to balance. You never made these lessons easy so why shouldn't I believe you also did this? What was this supposed to teach me that love doesn't work out? Does Kevin know that this is who you really are? Should I tell him he can do better?" My voice is low as I pace my kitchen."I'll stand beside you at the altar. I'll smile pretty for the pictures, but the minute your fairytale day comes to an end I'm done being in your life. You're dead to me. Do you understand."

"Lia?!" My sister begged.

"Get the hell out of my house I can't even look at you right now."