Chapter 11

~Fiona~

The shocked look on everyone's faces was surprisingly satisfying.

I flared my wings as much as I could in the tight space, not killing as much speed as I had hoped. The glare from the buildings behind me lit up everything with a strange, otherworldly light, almost as if it was highlighting the path I needed to take. Sorry Dane, but this is going to hurt...

I swooped down, buzzing the cops and nicking my tail against the police van, before shoving both my forearms forcefully under Dane's armpits, almost sending both of us crashing to the ground as I strained my wings, trying to keep the momentum going. We careened towards the three policemen at the back of the alley, who scattered just in time, one of them almost getting socked in the face by my passenger's feet. No pun intended.

The far end of the narrow alley loomed, the back closed off by a dead end. I angled myself sideways, desperately powering straight up, adrenaline making my wings whip faster and faster as the top edge of the lower of the buildings on either side of me came into view. I felt a wing scrape the wall once, twice.... then we were above the rooftop, the shouting and sirens behind us fading away as I rocketed towards the clouds. My tongue hung out the side of my mouth dangerously, as each jarring flap brought my jaws close to snapping shut, the muscles along my neck straining to help me gain height. 

Through the fatigue that was rapidly beginning to weigh me and my passenger down, I sensed that this wasn't over. If they saw which way I went, or sent a chopper out to find me.... I couldn't finish the thought. Instead, I began to head toward the taller buildings of the lakeshore. I couldn't really tell where exactly we had come up from the nest of concrete and metal below, but I knew for certain that they couldn't follow us through the maze of highrise buildings now looming around me. 

I caught a panicked gasp from below me as I tilted in the air, banking around the nearest skyscraper.  Flapping some more, I ignored the impression of faces through the shimmering windows beside me, just wanting to be away from the presence - and threat - of people. If I hadn't been so tired, I'd have probably been startled at how easily I accepted that I was no longer a 'person' in the human sense, but then again, I had had awhile to get used to the idea.

Dane seemed to be getting heavier in my arms. I had to find a place to land, or he'd find one prematurely. I could feel his shallow breathing through the thinner scales on my forearms. He knew his life depended on me at the moment, and he wasn't about to threaten that by struggling. 

Despite the lack of pursuit so far, I felt all too visible as I picked the tallest building in the city to land on. Gravel scattered in front of me as I backwinged to a landing on top of the Sears tower, attempting to gently set Dane on his feet. As soon as they touched solid 'land', however, he sprinted forward a few paces, before turning around and backing away slowly, never taking his eyes off me. 

I draped my trembling wings across the flat, gray surface of the rooftop, the shadow of one of the two huge antennas laying like a barrier between us as I panted, trying to catch my breath. He stopped, almost falling backward as his heels hit one of the huge air conditioners that sat like imitation skyscrapers in their own little city, here at the top of the world.

Finally, I licked my jaws, trying to get some moisture back into my mouth and throat, and raised my head, gazing at him in amusement. "A thank you would be nice, at least, before you run off," I gargled, then coughed, trying to get my throat to form sounds a little more clearly. Smoke drifted from my nostrils. This parroting business was a little tough when one's throat was dry as the Sahara.

Dane's eyes widened, his eyebrows disappearing behind his rough-cut thatch of hair. "Well, that's different," he muttered, then, a little louder, "thanks.... I think. You don't eat people?"

I shook my head, then flipped my wings up and folded them neatly over my back, sitting down and wrapping my tail around my hindlegs. My breathing was beginning to ease off, though I could still use a good cold drink of water. "Nope. Just thought you could use a lift." I shrugged my wings, flicking the tips out as I resettled them nervously. I gotta come up with a reason for saving someone who anyone would think was a criminal on the run. I could play the dumb animal.... or...

"Why'd you save me? For all you know, I'm a criminal on the run from the cops." 

I blinked at him, startled at how closely he echoed my thoughts. "Well.... I can sense that you're not... evil." I gave a mental facepalm. You can SENSE he's not evil? Come on, that's so lame! He's going to see right through that! 

It was his turn to blink in surprise. "Oh." was all he said. I couldn't tell if he bought it or not, but I figured the poor guy had had enough of a stressful day. 

His thoughts must have been following the same lines. "How... how am I supposed to get down from here?" 

I thought for a moment. "The cops will still be searching," I croaked out, "but if I fly out over the water and come in low, I should be able to land not too far out and swim you to shore. Would be easier on both of us anyhow." And I REALLY need a drink.

He nodded slowly, eyeing my talons a little nervously. It was then that I noticed a set of scratches over one thin bicep, on his right side. I frowned. "Did I get you with my claws?" 

He reached up reflexively to cover the spot. "It's fine, I've gotten worse scratches on dumpsters." I could tell he was still worried. I grinned at him, then snapped my jaws closed immediately when he looked startled at the amount of teeth in them. 

"Well, you don't have to worry about getting any more of those. You can ride on my back. Just hang on to my crest, or put your arms around my neck. Either way works." I turned to one side, holding a wing away from my shoulders so he could clamber up. To his credit, he didn't hesitate, but stepped forward, pausing at my side as he determined the best way to scramble up. I wasn't that tall at the shoulder, but it was still a decent leap upwards. To help him out, I crouched down like a cat, holding my tail out behind me for balance. Once he was in place, I turned towards the edge, giving another, fiercer grin. 

"Better hang on, dumpster boy!"

I jumped.