Gypsy Trade

April 7, 2005, 8:30 p.m. Miami 

Over three hours had passed, and I couldn’t move. I kept looking at the two bodies on the floor, horrified by the fact that I couldn’t remember how they got there.

What is happening to me?

Finally, I got closer, looked at the nameless faces, and stared at the nothingness, realizing that there was something in me, something of the impostor that had somehow taken over my body and my consciousness.

Could it be possible? Could it be that the two of us somehow blended with each other?

That would explain the empowerment every time I experienced anger or hate. The fact that I had no recollection of my actions raised the question of whether this was just a side effect provoked by whatever might be left of the force that possessed my body.

Is this an isolated incident or the beginning of something worse? 

As I considered different options of how to dispose the bodies, I questioned the future and whatever presumptions I had left regarding my faith.

*******

April 8, 2005, 2:06 a.m. Miami

I waited for Jason while sitting in front of a dinner table over Lincoln Road. He was late; he probably got distracted by one of his many new friends. It seemed that my stepson’s personality and suave approach were helping him to become the it man in the ever-changing South Beach scene. Looking like twenty-two and having unlimited funding helped too.

Well, I thought, after all, he would be the one living in the sun capital of the modern world. At that point, he didn’t know that much, and that was why we were going to meet. I knew he loved living in Extreme City New York, and who wouldn’t? However, the switch was necessary.

Any worries that change might have caused faded in part because ever since his arrival, I had seen in him a revival of his criminal side, and he was truly enjoying it.

I dialed one of my lawyers and waited. I requested a transfer of funds to a different account set up in the East Coast. It would become my new primary account.

Before I allowed my body to be traded with the entity’s, I took all the precautionary measures to ensure that if, in any case, I couldn’t get it back, its new owner would not be able to access the gross income of my network. For that, I requested a change of passwords and asked for the creation of several accounts. Nevertheless, there was a problem: How would I hide personal and sensitive information from myself?

The answer was that I couldn’t. That’s why Jason had to choose the answer to the challenge question my lawyers were instructed to ask if anyone ever called in my name requesting exactly what I was requesting. The plan proved its effectiveness soon enough. It happened that shortly after the body exchange took place, several of my lawyers around the world did get a call from the other me. I would have given a good chunk of my money just to be in the same room with my impostor and see the look in his eyes when confronted with a challenge question he didn’t know the answer to. Priceless.

“Why did the Gypsy jumped the wall?” my lawyer said as a challenge on the other end.

I had to finish the sentence Jason had given, and it turned out that I did know it. It was intuitive more than knowledgeable, something borderline spiritual—something that only ancient Gypsies would guess right.