The Distant Past (Part 2)

October 30, 1792 - Martorell, Spain

Andrzej found sanctuary among a different race. They were bound together by the same purpose—to defend their way of life against the crusaders and their invading forces. Ironically, it was there, in that faraway kingdom, that Andrzej’s story reached new heights, when the emperor of the land allowed him to stay among his warriors.

Eventually, he laid down his sword and took a wife, a native, who bore him strong sons.

Decades later, older and in the company of his new family, he ventured back to the east, eventually finding his way back to Spain. He carried the ancient seed of the true Gypsies of his tribe—a godless heart and the most uncompromising human spirit.

He told his sons the tale of the fate of his tribe, and his sons did the same with their sons. As it has always been done among my people.

The world was different then. The Gypsies who survived the crusaders’ attacks became willing servants of the priests from Rome and their man god. Those followers were taken when they were just children. They were alone, scared, and hungry. The last generation of survivors always kept in their minds the merciless tribe annihilations as the best incentive for submission, and as long they remembered that, their “faith” in the Roman religion grew “naturally.”

They were taught, indoctrinated, and groomed to be believers. Soon enough, they were afraid of the power from heaven and the priests who represented it. By the time the sons of Andrzej spread their roots in the land of their ancestors, the differences between the two types of Gypsies became evident. 

I remember the words of my dad, Stevo, that night, ages ago in the outskirts of Martorell. I remember them word by word. The same creed carried by all Andrzej descendants. My own creed,

"My heart is godless because it’s free.

My will is uncompromising because it’s mine.

There’s only life followed by death.

There’s no god, just the hope for one."

And if there’s no god, then there can’t be a devil. There can’t be any devil.

Then again, if I were the devil, that’s exactly what I would want everyone to think.